Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Cacowards 2016 Nomination Thread

Scuba Steve said:

Is Mano Laikas a joke? How is this project even remotely noteworthy? It's the most bog standard, 1995 quality mapset one could imagine.

I liked the sheer absurdity of map 32 but it's the only one I finished.

Scuba Steve said:

Is Mano Laikas a joke? How is this project even remotely noteworthy? It's the most bog standard, 1995 quality mapset one could imagine.

Art :

+1 DooD

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1582793

You know sometimes in your life, when you expect nothing or absolute poopbag of a gift, things like DooD show up, to make your day. I nominate this unironic jokewad masterpiece for an unironic mockaward! There's no irony in this, thht is a masteretsam that completely changes your perspective on DooD! I mean you caac go wrorw with clasalc maps liil ToxoT RefinifeR oo EntrtnE oo evve HannaH gg pllp thht shhs rigir non!

kuchitsu said:

Well, it is intentionally retro. But also some people think that it manages to get the Doom formula right despite being so minimalistic and crude, and they see a lot of beauty in that.

It also feels virtually identical to Erketanne.

I still maintain that Quasar deserves an Espi lifetime achievement award.

Reasons:
- he has developed Eternity engine, a port whose innovations live on in advanced and popular ports like ZDoom.
- he led the campaign that succeeded making the Raven game source codes open and free, and thus make it very easy and lawful to make source ports for these games.
- he leads the ad-free Doom Wiki project, and fights for its success against the shady Doom Wikia page.
- he, with Kaiser and NDS, revived Strife! I think nobody expected that.

Of course, there are other people with a lot of reasons to win similarly, such as Randy Heit, Samuel Villarreal (unless he won it already, did he?), probably Graf Zahl (I think he contributed hugely to make ZDoom powerful).

Golden Souls Portable for Mockaward. It's not just a nice gag that fits in to the overall SNES era marketing and gimmick of Golden Souls, but is actually a nice gameplay experience that carries it's central point of being an imitation Gameboy game to the limit.

Sheesh, when's the last time there was solid competition for the Mockaward? That's pretty neat.

printz said:

Samuel Villarreal (unless he won it already, did he?)

He did, he even was the first recipient. He was followed by Ty and fraggle.

kmxexii said:

Pinnacle got an HM in 2015

Oh sorry, I forgot that, I just assumed it came this year because of the latest newstuff review.

Well, if we ever nominate a mapper for an Espi award, I'd nominate Essel for his contributions in the form of custom textures, composing midis, his ability to lead and coordinate high quality/profile projects, his influence on the modding community as a whole through his giving invaluable feedback to newer mappers, his mapping guides, and through his own levels... etc etc.

I hope it ain't illegal to nominate your own mod, hehe. //I did not remove this post on purpose to keep it as an example that self-nomination is bad, m'kaaaay.

*link busted on purpose by me*

It's generally frowned upon and not considered a sincere nomination.

Gez said:

It's generally frowned upon and not considered a sincere nomination.

Then I'll crosspost the forum thread from there tomorrow, when I am allowed to start new threads.

EDIT: Took me a while to realise that it's self-plugging that's frowned upon, rather than the ZDoom links...In that case I ain't crossposting for now...

EDIT 2: Yeah, I'll definitely be crossposting, but I will remove my link from here. I understand why it's looked down upon so I'll let the people decide whether to nominate it or not.