Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Retro Dino

What does everyone listen to while making wads/playing doom?

Recently when mapping I've been listening to everything from the Doom and Duke Nukem 3D soundtracks (so so so tempted to have "Plasma" in my level), to extreme metal and synthpop. 

I mostly listen to game soundtracks through steam. One of my favourites is Brigador’s soundtrack. That or listening to midis through YouTube.

The wad's music when playing, I just find something else distracting me from the experience rather than enhancing it, regardless of whether I enjoy said music or not.

21 hours ago, Retro Dino said:

Pink Floyd

I've just been summoned.

When working on my own WAD's, or maps with no time limit, I usually listen to podcasts. That way it feels like I'm maximising my time usage.

When doing speedmaps however, I normally just listen to music as it will distract me less.

When I'm mapping I either listen to my huge folder of doom wad music that I extracted from various wads, various video game music OSTs, Power Metal and Speed Metal, Synthwave, Japanese City Pop, Italo Disco, and various other genres of music

When I'm playing I usually prefer to listen to the map midi because it's an important part of creating the atmosphere the mapper wants to achieve, the exception being if it's stock music or if I'm doing attempts on a map where I have to reset a lot because it's pretty easy to go incurably insane from listening to the same 3 minute midi for 3 hours. For mapping, I mostly hop chaotically between whatever albums I feel like in my music library or if I feel like listening to electronic music I might pull up mixes or live sets to be extra lazy.

When playing wads, I listen to whatever music is on the map. It'd be weird to change the music. If the map using MIDIs, I do like to change the midi renderer in LZDoom usually to one that gives off an older midi sound. I just really like that kind of sound. It's neat to hear how the midis can sound so different by just changing the renderer.

When mapping, I usually don;t play music. Normally when I dev anything, I like it nice and quiet since it is easier to concentrate. Sometimes if I do decide to listen to music, it all depends on what I am in the mood for at the time. Could be Jpop, could be VOCALOID, could be Alternative Rock, Metal, or even ballads. Whatever suits the mood.

If the WAD has original music I always go with that, unless it's a super annoying tune or something. Otherwise I just listen to that which I listen to otherwise.

When mapping I listen to soundtracks depending on the map's theme, general concept and ideas of my mind, but lately I have not been mapping, so..

When playing I do not listen to external music, I just hear the current map's.

A.) Either just my liked playlist on Spotify.

B.) The midi I made for the map before hand. Lets me put more of the midi feel into the map.

About 3,500 different songs on shuffle.

Occasionally I'll put on a Daily Mix on Spotify.

psx doom tracks, snes doom tracks, tnt tracks, rammstein, the soul calibur II intro, etc.

I also listen some tv shows ( i search for them and hear 'em while I play).

It really depends on the wad I'm playing

1 hour ago, 0o0[ULTIM4TE]L1FE[F0RM]0o0 said:

Never heard of King Crimson, is he good?

"Mr. King Crimson" is the purest incarnation of EVIL in the entire world! There is nothing "Good" about him!

tumblr_peyl0dHKCV1uljq01o7_500.png

Plays some pretty sweet tunes tho :)

Metal, heavy metal, and heavier metal. Sometimes with a side of metal. 

Jokes aside, 95% of the time I go for metal(any sub genre)/heavy rock. The more energetic the better. High energy music  = high energy mapping for me.