Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
URROVA

whats your favourite target sourceport for making mods?

whats your favourite target sourceport for making mods?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite executable for making mods?

• Vanilla (original or hacked MSDOS exe)
    • Boom/MBF/PrBoom/Woof
    • ZDoom/GZDoom
    • Eternity
    • Crispy Doom / Limit Removing
    • Doom Legacy
    • Doomsday
    • Other
    • Zandronum
    • Vavoom / k8vavoom
    • Doom Retro

I mean, whats the sourceport you like more to make your mods?

Mine's gzdoom, basically because i like gamedev and there i can program nearly everything, not only making maps. I can program game mechanics i cant on vanilla. Also i can use it as a game engine for standalone games (planning developing a bullethell fps with it someday).

Whats your favourite target sourceports for making mods?

Edited by URROVA

GZDooM at one end of the spectrum

Chocolate DooM at the other end of the spectrum

And, really, nothing in between.

Generally, GZDoom is more fit or most used for modding nowadays, and that is no exception with me.

Oh definitely K8Vavoom.  I mean, I prefer the XG/DED files that Doomsday has for defining content, but I like to focus more on mapping than pure modding.  And while GZDoom has most of what I want in that regard... K8 has extra features that other ports don't have (e.g. stencil shadows, 3d polyobjects).  And for the type of things I like to create, those extra features are a perfect match.  I also rather like its debugging features, which I've only recently started to dive into.

Mostly PrBoom+ and Crispy Doom, since both support BEX/MBF dehacked extensions. I used to dabble in DECORATE, but that fell by the wayside when I changed my port of choice.

While it is a fairly antiquated port and a pain in the ass to work with, you should add Zandronum to the list as it is the best port for multiplayer mods

To be fair, it doesn’t really matter what source port compatibility I’m targeting, I’m still going to play it in GZDoom once the testing is done. My goal is to finish up with the older formats over a series of ambitious projects and go full-time UDMF at some point. 25yoe was the start of this process, embracing cl2 limit-removing and predominantly vanilla assets.

My Favorite Format is:

I mostly use Boom format because it is very easy to adapt and doesn't bother me with many unofficial/non-vanilla extensions of DooM.

My Second and least Format is:

I seldomly use GZdoom format because it has so many custom/unofficial exntensions so it bothers me a lot when I am working on mapping.

Ofc, it is very useful for mod creators and for who require advanced mapping formats but not for me.

My Actual Second Favorite is:

Zandronum Format is my second most used and loved format since it has tons of extensions and gamemodes for multiplayer DooM. Also, It is

very interesting that not many people use or perefer Zandorum format. I sometimes check out DooM Seeker to play online but However only the US

servers are filled, Servers of other Countries are mostly empty. I love to challange people in online arenas. It is more fun in my perspective of playing DooM.

I map for vanilla, main reason being so that any Doomer can play my stuff with no hassle. It’s kind of annoying when advanced source ports lack some vanilla compatible elements for this reason, but rarely is that ever an issue.

I think you should add an option for limit-removing, it seems a lot of people are content with that these days. (Also, does Crispy have support for anything beyond Boom/MBF? Haven’t been keeping up with the ports recently I gotta admit..)

It's GZDoom for me in UDMF. I'm still working on some vanilla stuff but in a limit removing flavor. I think I fought my last battles with visplanes when I made my Rowdy II map and also when I was working on Hellpitt Temple in Vilecore 1.2 and I ended up ripping the shit out of a room with a broken floor, just so the visplanes would fuck off and regretted it after. So no more strictly vanilla stuff for me.

Edited by Doom_Dude

I love vanilla mapping. I think it’s crazy that I can get shit I made running on DOS. 

I hate vanilla mapping and it’s stupid visplane limit and stupid errors. Stupid vanilla limitations.

Nobody's mentioned Boom yet?

Boom is very nice because it isn't AS complicated as UDMF, but you can still get a ton done, and it runs on many more sourceports than just "LZDoom and GZDoom"
Like yea I agree GZDoom and it's derivitives have their place but I like learning how to make simple scripts with voodoos and scrolling floors.

Yes, things are a bit hacky to set up, but doing it right can be awesome :0

And it runs on many different sourceports than just GZ/LZ

Also file sizes are much smaller :))

Spoiler

Also I can't run GZDoom but shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

(Also, does Crispy have support for anything beyond Boom/MBF? Haven’t been keeping up with the ports recently I gotta admit..)

Crispy only has partial Boom/MBF feature support. Stuff like Valiant, Eviternity or Ancient Aliens doesn't run on it.

Ah, that’s unfortunate, thanks for the answer though! Crispy still seems like a good port for limit removing stuff, in that case.

49 minutes ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:
  Hide contents

Also I can't run GZDoom but shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Use LZDoom.

Zandronum, always.

I will stop making my stuff primarily targeted at it when GZDoom gets a multiplayer as good as Zandronum, or when Yandere Dev finishes his game, or the US Military leaves Middle East. Whatever happens first.

9 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Nocturne in Yellow its pretty much something like that.
Its pretty good for sure!

Ok, i will try it.

5 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

While it is a fairly antiquated port and a pain in the ass to work with, you should add Zandronum to the list as it is the best port for multiplayer mods

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I think you should add an option for limit-removing, it seems a lot of people are content with that these days. (Also, does Crispy have support for anything beyond Boom/MBF? Haven’t been keeping up with the ports recently I gotta admit..)

Ok, i will add the zandronum and limit removing option when im in pc, because i dont know how to edit polls on a mobile (theres no edit button on mobiles for poll...)

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Ah, i see. Thanks for confirming. Then the following applies:

image.png

Uhhh no. Because isnt the same if you like an executable for playing on it, than if you like an executable for making mods. Isnt the same playing on gzdoom for the widescreen and the 60 fps, than liking modding for it because has acs, zscript, etc. Also i searched for anything like this thread.

Edited by URROVA

Until recently it's been GZDoom, because of it having the most wide-ranging advanced features that suit my purposes, but in the past 2-3 months I've been veering towards k8vavoom for some of its niche features such as more fully featured dynamic lighting and the upcoming 3D polyobjects.

ok, added zandronum, doom retro and k8vavoom

Also changed "Crispy" to "Crispy Doom / Limit Removing"

mods that are no longer Doom, or needs complexity (not map-related) it's always GZDoom