Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Cacowards 2023 Mentionation Thread: You Don't Need To Post Myhouse Again

+1 to Fast as Hell Flags by @Arrowhead and @Endless (feat. @ignatiOS and @SkeletronMK666). This is a full 32 map boom-compatible CTF megaWAD, which is primarily designed for Zdaemon, Zandronum and Odamex, and is a WAD with some truly great and diversified visuals and a very dynamic gameplay.

This set is designed to be played w/ jump ON, freelook ON, crouch OFF, Item respawn ON, weapon stay ON, and respawning barrels ON.

The layouts are complex and every map has various paths to get to each base. This, along with the fact that most of the levels are small in size (and as for those that are not, they have quite a lot of turns between narrower corridors near the bases), really does make the gameplay more dynamic.

The item placement usually makes sense, for example the chainguns placed closer to each base on more open-spaced maps, or SSG put near some narrow passages. Other valuable items are often placed in the center, so it will diversify the gameplay as well by making teams' members fighting for them. There are also a couple of surprises using similar techniques and waiting for you on some of the maps :)

As for the palette, the classical blue and red colors help to identify appropriate teams' territories. The WAD's design will delight you with its diversity: from industrial bases to steppe lands, to libraries, snowy bases, demonic environments and so forth, it even features a level with an ocean and another map with a metro. There are a lot of other amazing surprises to discover as well C:

Spoiler

On 8/5/2023 at 9:32 AM, Major Arlene said:

Wasn't sure where else to put this but with the 30th!! anniversary of Doom coming up I think it would be really cool to do a compiled commemorative book of sorts with the screenshots and writeups of all the winners from this year back. probably just have folks pay enough to cover shipping cost. but a hard copy of what's been important Doom history sounds like it'd be apt this year!

That is an AWESOME idea. I’d happily stump up all sorts of cash for that. 🫶

14 hours ago, SilverHurling said:

+1 to @EduardoAndFriends for promising newcomer aswell, been having a blast with his work. Perfect for anyone that prefers short, punchy and beautyfull wads.

I've played Relic the most, so i´ll leave it here for anyone

Oh thanks, Silver Hurling. :) really glad you enjoyed it!

+1

Favourite wad this year by a long shot. Easily up there with Down the Drain for avant-garde Dooming.

Spoiler

and the first wad that comes across as distinctly lesbian so +100 points 

I'm not sure if third map counts as newcomer, but definitely a fun romp. TNT style techbase, nonlinear, good signposting. The music feels very repetitive but ah well.

I just want to put it in writting that Tangra666, Blexor, Eduardo&friends, Lvndead and Fernito are my current favorite mappers! And prolly 40oz for consistant quality. Adding Dumbdoot6677 and JJBoren, they deserve it.

Edited by Insaneprophet

12 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

For Most Promising Newcomer, I'd like to nominate @EduardoAndFriends. He has been putting out some great miniWADs at an astounding rate over the last 6 months. Very fun, highly detailed works at a consistent quality:

Oh cheers broski 😎

+1 for Dreamblood Ep. 1 for DOOM 64, by @HeadshotTAS. Beautiful but challenging 8 maps, aided with mesmerizing custom skies by @Immorpher and radically-different-but-just-as-haunting custom D64 MIDI tracks by @Proxy-MIDI, it's sure to redefine the D64 experience to an extent!