What Chocolate is Best Chocolate?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What Chocolate is Best Chocolate?

• Dark Chocolate 85% and higher
    • Dark Chocolate 70%-85%
    • Dark Chocolate less than 70%
    • Milk Chocolate
    • White Chocolate
    • Other Pure-ish Chocolate (Ruby Chocolate, Gianduja Chocolate, etc.)
    • Screw this, just give me chocolate candy of some sort

I got to thinking about chocolate today, during the brutal Texas heat which prevents any of it from being shipped here. What's your opinion about the "best" kind of chocolate? I personally like white chocolate and 65% dark chocolate, but I'll take whatever is handed to me. Sound off, Doomworld!

I'll be honest, I'm not enough a connoisseur to know the different amounts of dark chocolate. I picked "any" because I'm not picky, but dark chocolate filled with caramel and covered with sea salt might be my favorite. I also found some Cadbury chocolate bars filled with a vanilla passionfruit cream while I was in Australia two months ago and it was divine, but I'm a sucker for just about anything passionfruit.

White chocolate, may include Cookies & Cream.

It seems that one and the 'screw this' options are the most chosen.

I told you man!

I've heard that chocolate in the US tastes a bit like vomit (no really), so I can't judge any chocolate made there. But really any chocolate is great to me, white "chocolate", dark, sweet, bitter, just get it inside of me!

The (really) dark chocolate is really bitter, making it good to eat on the side with things such as pastries and other sweet desserts.

I like one we have here that it's called "pure chocolate" with almonds. I think it must be something 70%... mmm going to the freezer!!

5 minutes ago, exl said:

I've heard that chocolate in the US tastes a bit like vomit (no really)

it's the Butyric acid they (hershey's, probably others following suit) put in there because people started to get used to the souring milk they used to make it with, complaining once they started using fresh milk. it's a uhhhh, distinct, recognizable taste.

i find 74-78% to be the best range but really anything past 70% cocoa is good ass chocolate. then again, i really like black coffee and unsweetened green tea.

I think the harvesting and fermenting process of cocoa beans is really cool and I like to watch videos about it, but I don't have as much interest in the end product. I'll casually eat a handful of M&Ms on occasion if offered, but white chocolate or anything darker than chocolate flavored candy doesn't really turn anything on for me, at least from what I've had.

I would want to try some of the chocolates in this video, which also talks about why the dark chocolate in most stores doesn't have much flavor. I think I might like talking about chocolate more than consuming it.

Spoiler

Any chocolate have their own things, but White chocolate has a special place in my heart

12 minutes ago, heliumlamb said:

it's the Butyric acid they (hershey's, probably others following suit) put in there because people started to get used to the souring milk they used to make it with, complaining once they started using fresh milk. it's a uhhhh, distinct, recognizable taste.

I remember Hershey's being very plasticy, more so than pukey, but it's been more than a decade since I've had any. But yeah cheap North American chocolate is pretty bad.

Everyone says that chocolate of any kind is not healthy, but the "best" of all is dark chocolate, although I don't its hard taste. Besides, I grew up with the thinker that chocolate is something that's tasty, which is white and milk chocolate. Yeah, it's sugary, but the moderation is the key.

Not terribly picky about which kind I have...

Tend to more enjoy dark chocolate than sweeter chocolate as of late... been on a kick of Meiji Chocorooms lately if I want it

Dark chocolate, and the darker the better. I've had chocolate that's like 96% cacao, practically baking chocolate. Very bitter, but excellent when paired with a nice, smooth drink.

Milk chocolate is certainly fine. I also enjoy some mint chocolate and (especially) orange chocolate.

Also, for non-Americans, I will definitely note that we do have some higher-quality chocolatiers. Hershey or Nestlé is what you find in the supermarket shelves by the checkout, sure, but if you do a bit of digging you can find stuff by companies like Lindt or Ghirardelli that are fantastic chocolate - with the price tag to match, of course.

But most people don't wanna pay upwards of three bucks for a chocolate bar, that's basically why you never hear of them.

I like me some super dark, kinda bitter chocolate. Throw in some chili flakes or orange zest and I'm a happy boy.

Milk chocolate I think, although that dark chocolate which is not 100 percent can work. Actually, hazelenut is one of the better ones but ive never heard it called "gianduja."

it's very obviously cocoa beans, like whole cocoa beans with the giant ass shell and musky ass innards. Arguably inedible, but that hasn't stopped this American Chocolate terror.

While milk and lighter dark chocolate is real good, around 60-75% hits different. It's the perfect balance between bitterness and sweetness that brings out hits that are normally obscured by milk and sugar. Above 95% is just straight ass though.

4 hours ago, LoneAlpha2401 said:

It's this and you can't convince me otherwise.

xhTXI7l.jpg

Hell yes, those things are great.

4 hours ago, TheCaneOfTheTophat said:

Frozen. Frozen chocolate. I don't care how sweet it is. I don't care how milky or chocolate-y it is. If it's frozen with frost around it's edges then I am happy.

When I was little, this is how I would eat my Easter chocolate. Mom would get me a hollow rabbit, put it in a Ziploc bag, and bash it up with a hammer, then freeze it. I would then enjoy the rabbit, frozen.