Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A lot. Like, several hundred. I've never played a single game as much as I've played Doom in my lifetime. Getting a more accurate figure would probably just depress me.

If we did a chart of hours played per month, there'd be a giant Everest-like mountain in 1994-1995, with ragged foothills from 1996-2001, then a series of huge, craggy peaks from 2002-2004, followed by gentle hills and valleys from then on. I still play my fair share of Doom, but not nearly as much as I did when I was a teenager... which is terrifying.

Well I started when I was 6 months old and I was sitting with my Dad because the keyboard was bigger than my whole body.

I must be in the thousands of hours by now.

Haha, this is actually an interesting question... I wish I knew the exact number. All of my demos on DSDA total 26 hours, so I know it's at least that. I've played doom since I was in first grade, but really all the heavy activity has been during my high school years (last 4), with the exception of 11th grade because that year was a nightmare come true. I'm really into the game at the moment so (provided I don't have school) I literally play it from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep. The number may be even as high as 10,000 hours...

All of the demos on DSDA total 2714 hours, so that's kind of interesting.

I wonder how many monsters have been killed throughout all of Doom's history by every person... quadrillions? septillions? I think it'd be around a Graham's number amount.

Probably at least 200, and that's not even counting the time I spent playing Doom pre-2009 (when I started using Xfire to track my hours).

Major year old bumb?

It's countless for me. Easily in the thousands. I've beaten E1 at least 100 times, and that is just E1 (which takes about an hour for me). I can play for hours a day, online or offline.

Assuming I play on average 1 hour a day, and taking into account that maybe my non-playing/inactive days could sum up 3 years, that's 365 X 17 = 6205 hours. Yeah, that sounds reasonably accurate.

When I think of the huge swathes of my life I've spent doing completely mundane boring shit, I'm quite happy to have spent countless hundreds of hours playing a game that I enjoyed. I'd be disappointed that I'm not better at playing it though.

Probably the amount of time to beat Final Fantasy 10, 3 times beggining to end, a couple of times from the middle and time to beat Final Fantasy 12 put together.

It's hard to even estimate, because, despite having Doom since 1995, I haven't played it all the time; I was alternating it with other PC games. Even now, I think I haven't played Doom in months.

Archy said:

At least 2190 hours, that's two hours everyday for three years; sounds about right.

By the way, post COMPET-N entries here.

If I go by your math, I've played about 29,200 hours of doom.

since getting back into doom about a year ago to teh day...
ive played like 53 map packs...some of them a few times...so lets say 55 just to be nice.
its say every level has a median average of 200 per level (usually its either 180 or 300...so 200 is what im just going to leave it at because youre as smart as i am and that sounds right). almost all of these are 32 level megawads because thats how i roll (besides like eternal 4 and tutnt)
so....lets seee 352000 demons have falling victim to my bad assery.
..and i play slow as hell...like ten minutes short levels up to an hour with eternal...so around a 1062 hours. holy shit.
thats a lot of time i couldve been getting rich.

About a year or two ago I started listing how long it took me to beat various mapsets (thanks to the total time counter in GZDOOM). Wish I had started doing that earlier because right now I've got 17 Megawads without the final time. Of course that does not take into account the TOTAL time (failures, etc), mapsets that I've replayed multiple times, mapsets I haven't finished, original games, DOOM 3, RoE, BFG Edition, DOOM 64 and all the time I've spent playing DOOM 4 in my imagination.

But suffice to say, I've been playing DOOM for ~20 years. Easily my most played game/franchise ever. I'd say my lifetime score would be in 1000+ but we'll never know. All I really have is that list but it's missing tons of stuff.

Well, add about 400 on to my previous guesstimate and you're probably not wrong. I think that still leaves me under a full year of Doom playing in my 24 years of life (or 20 years of the game having been out).