Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

Am I the only the one who thinks these screens look great? Putting together a movie is hard. You got set designers, costumers, lighting, markers, director of photography, make-up, prosthetics, props, sound, etc. It takes a lot of work to get to those screens. And to some of ya'll this translates to "amateur"??? 

8 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Am I the only the one who thinks these screens look great? Putting together a movie is hard. You got set designers, costumers, lighting, markers, director of photography, make-up, prosthetics, props, sound, etc. It takes a lot of work to get to those screens. And to some of ya'll this translates to "amateur"??? 

Agreed. Some of y'all have never watched an episode of Redlettermedia's 'Best of the Worst' series, and it shows.

I don’t necessarily think it looks amateurish, I think it looks about on par with the high-ish budget film from 2005. If anything that should be a compliment since they have so much less money to throw around yet at a glance they appear to be getting similar results.

I've certainly seen worse...

I'm actually sort of curious now.

I love that this is a thing, sign me up. I'm betting it'll be at least as entertaining as Universal Soldier 4 or 5, and those weren't half bad.

On 3/9/2019 at 12:09 AM, Caffeine Freak said:

Makes me wonder if that's a transition from human to Imp

Oh God not again * Doom 2005 genetic non sense flashbacks *

On 3/9/2019 at 5:11 AM, DooM_RO said:

So is this about the team that gets slaughtered right before KDITD starts?

That would be okay and i would not mind if handled well, is actually a good idea if they want to make a Doom movie without Doom stuff because of budget

That's a handsome Zombie, but the photography is obviously not David Fincher, more like TV-series type quality in that department (or, Starship Troopers sequels, et al.)

Still, not terribly dissapointed overall - I remain cautiously expectant of the release. If the team spirit is tangible, I might actually care what order they die in.

The director is the biggest reason I think there's hope for this to be a good take - he's an actual fan of the game series and went to the source material when writing his script. It's exceedingly rare to see that level of respect paid in the making of video game movies. Doesn't always equate to a great movie, but it gives it a fighting chance out of the door.

3 hours ago, Quasar said:

he's an actual fan of the game series and went to the source material when writing his script.

You'd think this would be a more common practice with video game movies. Silent Hill is the only other one that comes to mind. The first SH movie, not that other BS.

All the talking and the zombie photo got me interested enough to check the director on wikipedia to see his previous works. Am not really familiar with most of the movies in that BUT this one movie stands out enough to put me back into skeptical mode nigh instantly : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil:_Afterlife . Although to be fair he didn't write that and was the 2nd unit director.. can't be worse than Paul Andreson's writing! 

Man there's a lot of doubt before the movie is even here. No harm in giving it a fair chance imo. It's pretty exciting that there's a Doom movie being made by someone who cares about the franchise and not some random cash grab in Hollywood. Just my two cents

Edited by MrDeAD1313

58 minutes ago, MrDeAD1313 said:

Man there's a lot of doubt before the movie is even here. No harm in giving it a fair chance imo. It's pretty exciting that there's a Doom movie being made by someone who cares about the franchise and not some random cash grab in Hollywood. Just my two cents

Yup.

At the very least, if it turns out to be a complete disaster, the people behind it actually tried to do it justice.

to be completely fair to the subtitle, if a megawad appeared here donning that name, it probably wouldn't have made any fuss at all, and if the screenshots looked promising enough, it would be showered with likes, too.

as for this particular movie, i'm kind of on the fence about it. if it's gonna be on Netflix though then i'll probably watch it either way.

DOOM: ANNIHILATION's synopsis reads like the movie Aliens: “ALIENS follows a group of space marines as they respond to a distress call from a base on a moon, only to discover it’s been overrun by demonic creatures who threaten to create Hell on Earth.“

Edited by geo

1 hour ago, geo said:

DOOM: ANNIHILATION's synopsis reads: “ALIENS follows a group of space marines as they respond to a distress call from a base on a moon, only to discover it’s been overrun by demonic creatures who threaten to create Hell on Earth.“

DOOM II's MAP11 text screen reads:

You have won! Your victory has enabled humankind to evacuate Earth and escape the nightmare. Now you are the only human left in the face of the planet. Cannibal MUTATIONS, carnivorous ALIENS, and evil spirits are your only neighbors. You sit back and wait for death, content that you have saved your species.

But then, Earth control beams down a message from space: "Sensors have located the source of the ALIEN invasion. If you go there, you may be able to block their entry. The ALIEN base is in the heart of your own home city, not far from the starport." Slowly and painfully you get up and return to the fray.

EDIT: I'm an idiot that doesn't know how to read. This isn't embarrassing at all.

I call them demons but technically they're aliens. Malevolent extraterrestrials from a 'hell' dimension that take on the appearance of demons to frighten humans. At least in my lore.

6 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

I call them demons but technically they're aliens. Malevolent extraterrestrials from a 'hell' dimension that take on the appearance of demons to frighten humans. At least in my lore.

They were in the Doom novels if I remember correctly.

Alien basically means something not local (be it from another country or another planet).

Not enough to go on from that trailer to determine if the movie will be good or not, but it seems faithful enough to the source material on first glance. :)

The moon base shot does reminds me a lot of this =P

Spoiler

Episode1_intermission.png

It looks like it could be an entertaining movie, it has some b-movie feel but i'm fine with that heh

The only thing I care right now:
Cacodemons or GTFO

Spoiler

4NnzWIi.png

Ok, that's a nice touch

Really hard to tell from such a shitty and short trailer anything about the movie. I'm happy we have finaly some teaser. It can be good but it can be even worse than the 2005 one but so far this gave me quite strong B-Movie feelings with much more action than the old movie which is good for me. Looking forward to see some more trailers.

The one close-up demon shot in there was actually pretty cool, but I sure as hell hope they're not going with that stock predator chitter sound effect for it. Same goes for most of those gun fire sounds.

Also, that shot 5 seconds in of the female character looking perplexed with the audio of that male scream playing is some real unintentional comedy.

Not much for me to judge by the trailer, honestly. Most of what I see doesn't exactly look promising, but my expectations weren't that high to begin with, so I guess we'll see.

2 hours ago, tempdecal.wad said:

[embed]

The freaking outro in that video is almost as long as the teaser trailer.

Jesus tittyfucking dumptruck Christ, the backlash and cries of “RUINED FOREVER” have been deafening already. 

On one hand, you have critics outright accusing Universal of pulling a Fant4stic or Hellraiser: Revelations just for them to keep the rights, and on the other hand, there’s the peanut gallery calling for the heads of the cast and crew involved because this movie isn’t going to be a glorified 90-minute playthrough of Doom 2016 (or rather, a 90-minute version of that one live-action Doom 2016 commercial). 

As for the trailer… that was really something. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a shitty-ass trailer, but what we’ve seen so far is pretty interesting to say the least. 

So far, the monster effects are pretty impressive so far, and it already looks to be more faithful to the classic games.

While I may forgive the armor for the marines, I really can’t take the helmets seriously. I mean, couldn’t have they used more futuristic helmet designs like this:

https://skyronin.com/

(I know those examples may not look that Doom-like, but those are infinitely better than what we have here). They couldn’t bother with breathing apparatuses or something to cover their lower faces?

There were a few things I’ve noticed:

-In one of the fight scenes, it looks like one of the marines is clearly swinging at a zombie with a chainsaw. 

-Joan Dark appears to be clearly wielding the BFG 9000; check the lighting on the gun itself. 

-The exterior shot of the Phobos Base actually appears to be a shot of a miniature rather than CGI, and is very evocative of the Episode 1 intermission screen. 

It’s kind of hard to judge the quality of the movie based off of one teaser, but we’ll see. 

It does look to be B-movie schlock, and that I can definitely enjoy.

On a side note, I actually watched Cult of Chucky (another Universal 1440 production), and it was surprisingly decent.