Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sonikkumania

Story behind your nickname?

So I was on this website called Sploder when I was younger and I had to come up with a username. I wanted doofenshmirtz, but it was taken, so I used the first thing that came to my mind, my brother's Bluetooth name at the time (Bijesna žaba, aka Angry frog) and named myself bijesnazaba.

Over the years I figured it was incredibly difficult for anyone outside the ex-Yu circles to even spell, let alone pronounce, so I set on shortening it. Realizing bijesnazaba was really two words, I didn't take the usual first two letters of the words (BiZa), instead I took the last two letters of the first one and the first two letters of the second one... NaZa.

So, theoretically, the real way to spell it is NaŽa. Or, if you'd translate it to English... RyFr. Heh.

I had tons of usernames with my name in it, and over the years I decided to shorten it to just "Norb"

10 minutes ago, Norb said:

I had tons of usernames with my name in it, and over the years I decided to shorten it to just "Norb"

It's NORBIN' time! lol

I was bored and i decided to create a YT channel so I think in a cool name, my first option was YANDOR, then found that yandor is a perfume :V

1 minute ago, YANDOR04 said:

I was bored and i decided to create a YT channel so I think in a cool name, my first option was YANDOR, then found that yandor is a perfume :V

Cool Profile picture 

A faux-Italian variation of "scallion", the last in a long line of root-vegetable-based nicknames I used to get called back in the early 2000s during social gatherings when the weed I was smoking impaired my comprehension in some way. It just kind of stuck.

Long story short, I'm a big fan of Death Note (My previous nickname on youtube was Deathnote12Light but before that my nickname during 2009 until 2011 was Death Note related too), and after playing TF2 with bots I liked how one of the bots was called "Herr Doktor", so I changed my name to that one, just to 5 seconds later changing the "Doktor" to "Dethnout" (Death Note misspelled duh). heh

On 10/21/2022 at 3:16 AM, Pechudin said:

"Pecho" is a nickname one of my best friends came up with, based on my name "Petar" (Peter). Pechudin is an extension of that.

Pecho frío(?)

I don't use my actual nickname. That's a secret.

I used Jello because I was a Freshman in highschool, who had been listening to punk rock for the last year and a half, and I had just re-discovered Doom through JDoom for a project for my "Web Design" class, and I love the Dead Kennedys. It was immature, sure, but after 20 years I'm not going to change it.

jello-jiggle.gif

Mines from a graphic novel by Garth Ennis called the Chronicles of Wormwood about the son of the devil. It's a Garth Ennis book so it's dark, violent and funny as hell. Some bastardo beat me to it on Steam so I changed worm to wyrm (like a dragon) which is kinda cooler anyway. Does mean I've been referred to as "worm" over microphone though!

8 hours ago, Herr Dethnout said:

Pecho frío(?)

No, I am not from a Spanish-speaking country. Also, that would not be a very flattering nickname.

16 hours ago, NickyGoodSumPrince said:

let me guess, is it 2b2t?

Yeah I'm afraid so.

8 hours ago, Pechudin said:

No, I am not from a Spanish-speaking country. Also, that would not be a very flattering nickname.

I'm not a native Spanish speaker as well, but from what I've gathered across Spanish learning resources, "pecho frio" is a derogatory (Argentinian) Spanish phrase referring to sportsmen that are deemed as "having no passion in their game". Given that Argentina's sports culture is very strong (especially football/soccer), you can see why sportsmen hate that phrase.

If I had registered an account here when I was in high school, my nickname would have been Blade. (It would have also required time travel, because I had already graduated from high school when Doomworld was created, but that's a different story.) Why Blade? Not because of the comic books or the Wesley Snipes movies, but because I liked swords and I thought it sounded cool.

So then, why Pegleg? Back in college, I cut my leg and it got infected. I was hesitant to go to Student Health because I had been a few days before when I was concerned it was red and inflamed and they told me "red means healing." A friend told me that if I didn't take care of the infection, gangrene would set in, they'd have to cut off my leg, and I'd end up with a peg leg.

I ended up listening to my girlfriend (to whom I am now married), my friends, and my mom, and went to Student Health and got everything fixed. So, I still have two legs. However, when I signed up for AIM later that year (in 1999), I liked how Pegleg sounded, so I chose Pegleg201 as a nickname. Fast forward to 2017, and I used Pegleg when I signed up for Doomworld.

I suppose had I signed up for Doomworld back when I was college, I still would have chosen Pegleg, so at least I'm consistent.

It started with me really liking this song and adopting the title as my online handle after years of using 'dethtoll.' Over time "June" has come to be my new IRL name. I plan to get my name legally changed within the next year.

Why yes I'm trans.

My first computers were a commodore 64 and then an amiga 500 and then I got a commodore brand PC... So I grew up with commodore computers and quickly became a fan... CBM stands for Commodore Business Machines.

I'm not the huge commodore fan that I used to be... But I decided to keep the nickname anyway.

I used to use 'foo' as a nickname. 'foo' was just something that I'd often use for testing/placeholder variable names in coding, and I just sort of

chose to use it as a nickname because I couldn't think of anything else at the time. I decided to start spelling it differently a few years back just to change things up; now a part of it also contains my initials, so that's a bonus.

I've had a handful of other pseudonyms; I've since settled on this one.

went with the unoriginal option of deriving my screen name from something music-related

I like the Atari XT computer, and the OpenGL rendering engine, I'd go by fabumaniac but I have to wait 'bout a year.

fabumaniac came from "fabulousmariomaniac" which was my Roblox username which I still keep.

I wanted to remove the "lousmario" ad it's just filling, making it long. When the name fabumaniac is too long, I just shorten it to fabu, would've been fab but fabu grew on me due to people shortening it to fabu on TF2 trade servers.

I can also go by fabustar, which is a mix between "fabumaniac" and my friend halfway across the worldd long form version of their name "ESG" as we plan on opening a 2 person run tf2 channel.

My "nickname" here on Doomworld (and most of the internet) is literally just my actual name.  But, one of the perks of being transgender is I get to pick my own irl name, so it does have an actual backstory.

It's a modernized form of the Anglo-Saxon name Ælfwine, which means "elf-friend".  I chose an old Anglo-Saxon name because I'm a linguistics nerd who loves archaic Germanic languages in particular.  "Elf" because I'm also a fantasy nerd, and "friend" because I always try to be as amicable as I can.  Plus, I just liked the sound of it.

On 10/20/2022 at 1:36 PM, RHhe82 said:

Back in the day, in 2009 I think, I had to come up with a gamertag for Xbox Live

same here! This was on the newly released Xbox360 so 05-06.

Back then I refused to come up with a username on the spot. I would always wait a couple days until something came to me

what came to me was "DuckAssaultMajor". That of course went over Xbox's 14-character limit.

Recon Major came to me as an alternative, likely from a character in Ace Combat 5, my favorite video game

Ended up being a prudent choice as I've avoided being called "Duck Ass" the last 15+ years. Though I probably would have (and still would) find that funny.

3 hours ago, Alfwin said:

My "nickname" here on Doomworld (and most of the internet) is literally just my actual name.  But, one of the perks of being transgender is I get to pick my own irl name, so it does have an actual backstory.

It's a modernized form of the Anglo-Saxon name Ælfwine, which means "elf-friend".  I chose an old Anglo-Saxon name because I'm a linguistics nerd who loves archaic Germanic languages in particular.  "Elf" because I'm also a fantasy nerd, and "friend" because I always try to be as amicable as I can.  Plus, I just liked the sound of it.

Your evil Twin should be named Albtraum than ;)
Alb = Elf in some older germanic Languages

Traum = Dream in actual german

The actual Word for Nightmare in German.

Just searched the Etymology for Dream, at least from the northern Area it should be Drôm, so to keep it like that = Alfdröm :D ?

(i also like to make such linguistic connections :) )

I took some programming classes in college and decided "segfault" sounded cool enough to replace my old handle. I'm not even that much of a programmer (I can assemble and edit scripts and can read code but I don't do much actual coding) so sometimes when I'm around actual programmers I feel like I'm a bit of a poseur.

On 10/20/2022 at 2:12 AM, Sonikkumania said:

[...] or is it just a product of random creativity?

yup that's about it. I was, I dunno, 10 years old at the time and it just stuck with me till now. All the potential it has for stupid puns is just a happy coincidence :)

Love this thread, great to see all the stories. The ones about early 2000s forums are peak comfy - I miss that. Shame @Gibbon got banned, his username story was mildly amusing. Anyway, onto mine. When I was making my Steam account, I needed a username. My old Xbox 360 username was just some auto - generated nonsense name (can't remember it now), so I felt I should do something new. Shoutout to my friend @Endless for being the only person to ever get it right. Until I made my Steam account, I'd somehow never heard of Dusty Rhodes, the American Dream. I had no clue he was a wrestler. I'm a huge King Crimson fan, like to a ridiculous degree. Robert Fripp, the band leader and guitarist, temporarily stepped out of music in the late seventies (though not before producing the Roches's self - titled debut album, playing on Fear of Music by Talking Heads, recording a solo album, and more). That said, he did have a few live appearances - a low key Frippertronics tour and touring with Peter Gabriel. I'm not familiar with Gabriel or Genesis (surprising due to my prog rock love), but Fripp played on the tour behind a curtain, completely unseen. The promotionals for the tour listed the guitarist as "Dusty Rhodes". I loved the idea of incognito guitar playing and it stuck. Now I'm known online only by Dusty.