Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
matador

DBP59: Zeppelin Armada

Interesting theme, and lots of maps this time! I especially like that first screenshot with the airships.

You madmen.
I thought limit-removing has been taken to it's logical extreme but that opener is something else.
I've played a few maps, good so far and it looks great and exciting judging by the screenies.
Cheers.

2 minutes in and I'm already blown away. It's late where I am right now, so I'll have to wait til tomorrow to play much more, but I'm really looking forward to this one.

From those screenshots it looks like Lost Civilization but steampunk. Can't wait to play.

So this is what 2 months development leads to. Seems like DBP has entered its monumental phase: ave!

I absolutely love this!

Minor bug: The dialog sequence at the beginning of MAP18 says "1/6" at first but changes to x/7, stopping at 6/7. Love these story sequences though!

Uh woweee, new DBP?! Yesss!!!

Funny how I received the notification for this just as I was watching something on Bioshock: Infinite. Talk about timing! 

30 minutes ago, RataUnderground said:

I am on map 7. It is being one of my favorite DBP, if not the best. : )

Oh wow, better than Auger; Zenith? Now I REALLY can't wait.

5 missions in and Glikkzy's "Industrial Bureau" has stood out as a major highlight for me! Some really interesting bespoke arenas that all feel unique yet completely cohesive. I'll need to go and check out the rest of their maps after I wrap this one up!

This is so good! I love the little puzzles. Shed one may have a bug? It didn't open. I'm up to level 07 and loving it. Very good texturing, doomcute, phasing, everything!

OH MY GOD. THIS .. this is the best one so far. I am at a loss for words.

I don't care what your opinion on Doomer Boards or DBPs are, MAP01 is an masterclass in vanilla (okay, *technically* limit-removing) Doom hackery on the level of KDiKDiZD. Amazing work so far and I only got to the third map last night.

Very fun interactions. These sorts of mid-texture switches and effects are ideas I've always wanted to make myself but I've never seen executed so well. They don't break the immersion whatsoever. Great WAD to study. Absolutely delighted to see one of my textures turned into a "quest" item as well.

46 minutes ago, indigotyrian said:

I don't care what your opinion on Doomer Boards or DBPs are, MAP01 is an masterclass in vanilla (okay, *technically* limit-removing) Doom hackery on the level of KDiKDiZD. Amazing work so far and I only got to the third map last night.

Is it controversial for some reason to talk about DBP?

Spoiler

MAP 01 => Mind blown

I didn't even finished it and already have a grin from ear to ear. Great job! Seriously, you really knocked it out of the park.

Steampunk, eh? I've got to play this one.

I'm aware of the HOM you might run into at the end of MAP05. The Bfg area was something added during the finalising process by those who did that. It wasn't in my final submission. Only noticed it now.

Edited by MortisCausaDonatio

Absolute stunner of a set, lads - but then, when was the last time you didn't outdo yourselves? Thank you all for sharing your outstanding work with us!

A handful of minor issues I encountered during my playthrough in the spoiler tag below. I played in Zandronum 3.0.1, software rendering, Boom compatibility.

Spoiler

In map06, the BFG didn't lower when I returned the workman's pliers. I suspect it may have had something to do with a sequence break I unknowingly performed: I got the pliers early by jumping onto this ledge, thinking it was a secret.

Screenshot_Doom_20230704_060211.png.e4a43909aaec76d0bbfd1b0a4d7a2f38.png

In map11 this uncooperative secret plasma gun blasted itself into the sky to avoid being picked up. Rude.

Screenshot_Doom_20230704_075939.png.b8915b1b0086f4e541c823dc6ed63613.png

I feel like the skyline at the back of the start of map13 could be edited to look more convincing. The same is true for the water at the end.

Screenshot_Doom_20230704_083219.png.34c10e561194060b849ec473f5faf558.png

Also in map13, there's this issue where the floors of some out-of-bounds mountains don't exist. At least in my source port, this happens because the affected floors are adjacent to a sky sector (which is to say a 0-height sector with the sky as its ceiling) which has a lower floor than the sector whose floor is messed up. The sky sector in question needs to be broken up into multiple sky sectors that each match the floor height of the terrain sector they're bordering. You could also create an open-air sector behind these mountains and connect the sky sector to that instead, which would be my preferred solution personally. Aside from these small issues, map13 looks and plays great. :)

Screenshot_Doom_20230704_085632.png.79554785cea1154d4a92f98b0ae7925f.png

This dude in map14 was absolutely STOKED that I found the hidden switch.

Screenshot_Doom_20230704_092354.png.4bee08ac14b66327f6152b1bba3860cb.png

Also in map14, entering your new base of operations through the side door lets you pretty easily see the text midtex (midtext?) in the floor, which isn't a good look.

Screenshot_Doom_20230704_093620.png.a72200c797661c4cf1b566d197519e8e.png

Still in map14, this little alcove (which doesn't actually exist and can't be entered through any means) is shown on the automap and made me think there was a broken secret for a couple minutes, leading me away from the actual secret berserk.

Screenshot_Doom_20230704_095312.png.3c4f4036b8dc71b57355692cc50fd957.png

Last one for map14 (sorry Matador, I liked your map), the switch that grants access to the exit is erroneously given the same tag as the cat's midtext, so visiting that area at any point causes a critical piece of map progression to become invisible. Absolutely needs a fix.

asf.png.949285cc2ba4bf103088c06c49474474.png

Lastly, map15 itself has no problems I encountered, but UMAPINFO calls it "At Last Exiled" instead of the proper "At Last, Exiled", which bothers me.

Deepest compliments to whoever wrote the text screens. You have an air-tight handle on period-appropriate writing, and perhaps an even stronger hold of the balance between brevity and heart.

"Were that I elected to study watchmaking, rather than what forces moved the hands." Incredible line.

I can't stress enough what a wonderful playthrough this was. That ending was spectacular, @BiZ.

11 minutes ago, Cammy said:
  Hide contents

Deepest compliments to whoever wrote the text screens. You have an air-tight handle on period-appropriate writing, and perhaps an even stronger hold of the balance between brevity and heart.

"Were that I elected to study watchmaking, rather than what forces moved the hands." Incredible line.

This would be me! Biz and 40 tagged me closer to the end of this set's development looking for assistance and critique for writing. I wrote the text screens and some of the interstitial "theatre" segments. Glad to have pleased, and to have helped in a small way in this megawad's creation!

Ok, the first screenshot sold it. Downloading.

mod: 4 mins later, looking through the first window on the left ----> D:

M'kay, tis gonna be gud.

Edited by Fluuschoen