Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quill

[1.4.1] v64 - Maps with only 64 Vertices

24 minutes ago, dotQLL said:

It's officially May 30th in my timezone, yet still no response.

I've freed up 2 slots (24 and 35) and extended the deadline to June 10th, 2022.

@PasokonDeacon @Mancubussy Sorry, but your slots were unclaimed.

I've already submitted a map to this project, but is it okay if I'm able to take the MAP24 slot since it was recently opened? I want to try making something with the surreal space theming.

1 minute ago, DiR said:

I've already submitted a map to this project, but is it okay if I'm able to take the MAP24 slot since it was recently opened? I want to try making something with the surreal space theming.

Sure! 1 slot left.

37 minutes ago, dotQLL said:

Sure! 1 slot left.

Can I join and reserve that one?

1 minute ago, Vrhrlv said:

Can I join and reserve that one?

Yeah, sure!

All slots are now claimed.

Name: Travelling Armsman Problem

Genre: Combat puzzle, Slaughter-lite

MIDI: Gershon Kingsley - Popcorn

Build time: ~5h, excluding playtesting

Slot: 35

Format: Vanilla

Vertices: 64

Difficulty Settings: Yes (the intended difficulty is UV)

Co-Op: Yes

Deathmatch: Yes

Tested in: GZDoom 4.7.1, Chocolate Doom 3.0.1

v64_travelling_armsman_problem.zip

1 hour ago, Vrhrlv said:

Name: Travelling Armsman Problem

Genre: Combat puzzle, Slaughter-lite

MIDI: Gershon Kingsley - Popcorn

Build time: ~5h, excluding playtesting

Slot: 35

Format: Vanilla

Difficulty Settings: Yes (the intended difficulty is UV)

Deathmatch: Yes

Tested in: GZDoom 4.7.1, Chocolate Doom 3.0.1

v64_travelling_armsman_problem.zip

Added to main post. 1 map left!

@RedBoule May I have your permission to post my edit of your MAP32? I fixed the HOMs but kept the original monster count.

2 hours ago, dotQLL said:

@RedBoule May I have your permission to post my edit of your MAP32? I fixed the HOMs but kept the original monster count.

Oh yeah absolutely! I actually forgot about the changes I was supposed to make lol. Thanks a lot for that!

Here it is. My edit of RedBoule's MAP32. Had to sacrifice a vertex for the fix, but it's still functionally the same.
MAP32.zip

@dotQLL A weird bug happened in Prboom+, you could go through that fence even with the impassable flag on. I just removed and readded the flag and it worked again. Not sure if this effects other ports but I fixed it anyway for Prboom players.doom06.png.d4c138dc73c17140a00d17255dfbc132.png

MAP32_fix.zip

Okay, I finished up my map for the MAP24 slot along with composing another MIDI for it. It's a lot harder than my MAP33 submission, with a focus on light slaughter gameplay and resource management.

Name: Three Fins And A Nosecone

Genre: Slaughter-lite, Frugal/Resource Management

MIDI: Cold Gas Propulsion Schematic (self-composed)

Build Time: ~4 Hours, ~6 if including playtesting

Slot: 24

Format: Vanilla Limit-Removing

Difficulty Settings: Yes (UV Recommended)

Deathmatch: Yes (Untested)

Tested in: GZDoom, PrBoom+, Chocorenderlimits

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220605_051016.png.ec9e0cad3583480ff9320bdb84e435ac.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220605_051042.png.fd23c50b7c3a4ffb4684076326b56a07.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220605_050958.png.cbf85131e3bd0147c6d201709e4aeaa3.png

Note: The skybox in the screenshots should be the space skybox from the v64skies resource WAD but I forgot to load it alongside the map. The download fixes it.

Download: 3FaaN.zip

15 minutes ago, DiR said:

Okay, I finished up my map for the MAP24 slot along with composing another MIDI for it. It's a lot harder than my MAP33 submission, with a focus on light slaughter gameplay and resource management.

hello played ur map!

Spoiler

i love the abstract visuals, the midi is great and fits the map.

the fights were very nice, i like that you were smart with arch vile usage, you only used 2 in smart areas where as some people may use 4 when 1 does the job well enough. 

the fights arent too hard or frustrating so good job.

my only problems were that:

1- i ran out of ammo to kill cybies but honestly i didnt really try  to see how weak they were because when i wanted to kill them i accidentally grabbed an invisibility xd

that may just me not doing proper resource managementt tho. i kinda played like a dumbass for some reason, sorry ;_;

2- there is some sprite flickering in chocolate-doom hopefully it doesn't hinder the gameplay too much but it is there i don't know what you can do about it

64v24fda.zip

here is an EMBARRASSING fda in which i die in the dumbest ways sorry xP 

5 hours ago, Luleta said:

hello played ur map!

Hide contents

i love the abstract visuals, the midi is great and fits the map.

the fights were very nice, i like that you were smart with arch vile usage, you only used 2 in smart areas where as some people may use 4 when 1 does the job well enough. 

the fights arent too hard or frustrating so good job.

my only problems were that:

1- i ran out of ammo to kill cybies but honestly i didnt really try  to see how weak they were because when i wanted to kill them i accidentally grabbed an invisibility xd

that may just me not doing proper resource managementt tho. i kinda played like a dumbass for some reason, sorry ;_;

2- there is some sprite flickering in chocolate-doom hopefully it doesn't hinder the gameplay too much but it is there i don't know what you can do about it

64v24fda.zip

here is an EMBARRASSING fda in which i die in the dumbest ways sorry xP 

Thanks for playing!

Managing the ammo is a little on the tighter side, while playtesting I sometimes get a crapshoot on the RnG so you might not have rockets left by the time it comes to the red skull key fight. Sometimes if I'm feeling really frugal during the first fight when there's only a few cacodemons and barons left I berserk punch them to save.

About the sprite flicker, yeah I don't know what causes it either since I caught it during playtesting but maybe I can take it out if it's too jarring.

6 hours ago, DiR said:

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20220605_051016.png.ec9e0cad3583480ff9320bdb84e435ac.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220605_051042.png.fd23c50b7c3a4ffb4684076326b56a07.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220605_050958.png.cbf85131e3bd0147c6d201709e4aeaa3.png

Note: The skybox in the screenshots should be the space skybox from the v64skies resource WAD but I forgot to load it alongside the map. The download fixes it.

Download: 3FaaN.zip

Added to the main post!

Looks like all of the maps are complete, so I'll be releasing an RC1 shortly. Stay tuned!

@Luleta I tried out the demo but I couldn't get it to work properly on PrBoom+ for some reason. It loads the map correctly and plays about a second's worth of MIDI then closes without giving any error code or something. Then again I'm a newbie at loading demos and I probably did something wrong.

35 minutes ago, DiR said:

@Luleta I tried out the demo but I couldn't get it to work properly on PrBoom+ for some reason. It loads the map correctly and plays about a second's worth of MIDI then closes without giving any error code or something. Then again I'm a newbie at loading demos and I probably did something wrong.

i may have fucked up when recording, goddammit ill check tomorrow cuz i just got to bed lol. 

also, about the sprite limit here is a doomwiki article. its caused when there is over 128 visible sprites at once.

23 minutes ago, Luleta said:

i may have fucked up when recording, goddammit ill check tomorrow cuz i just got to bed lol. 

also, about the sprite limit here is a doomwiki article. its caused when there is over 128 visible sprites at once.

Ah I forgot about the 128 limit. Anyways it wasn't too critical to gameplay as you said so I guess it's fine if I leave it in. dotQLL's already compiling RC1 so no point turning back now for something so small.

This may be a bit early for a RC2, but it's out!

Changelog

• Added necessary UMAPINFO for the secret levels
  • Added a BOSSBACK
  • CWILVs are better
  • Totally did not add the very map that inspired this community project

Download RC2!

Edit: I also updated the widescreen patch.

What luck, I was actually just thinking about this today. Glad to see @Clippy had a little fun with my level! What's next to do before an idgames upload is ready?

minor nit-picky suggestion that's not releveant at all.

but if a map has no secrets, shouldnt we make the starting sector secret for vanilla players?

im saying because when u finish a map in vanilla doom that has no secrets it displays 0% secrets. its silly and not very necessary but it may be good. 

it may be a pain in the ass for something most people wont care about tho so dont worry too much :P

Oh wow, you used my map art of the severed hand holding an ice cream cone! I'm honoured to be the intermission screen picture lol

Was an overall very nice experience. Short megawads are always a treat. The only weird part is the difficulty is kinda all over the place either a level I one shot or it takes me a bit of grinding to get, which with so many authors it makes sense. I did every level pistol start on uv with no saves with my platform of choice being GZdoom.

some highlight maps:

map06, map07, map12, map 14, map19, map 23, map28

Some potential issues:

map 31 has a revenant by the yellow key card stuck in the wall

map 22- dont know if the cyber is supposed to get free, sometimes he walked out of his cage and sometimes he didnt no idea what’s up with that, fun slaughter map btw

6 hours ago, eternalegg said:

Some potential issues:

map 31 has a revenant by the yellow key card stuck in the wall

map 22- dont know if the cyber is supposed to get free, sometimes he walked out of his cage and sometimes he didnt no idea what’s up with that, fun slaughter map btw

For MAP31, the revvie is just autoaim bait for the shootable switch behind it. MAP30 by the same author had one of the spawn spots in front of a shootable switch up top. I say this is intended behavior.

You probably meant MAP21 for the second issue. Yeah, I don't know how it happened, but it just happened. The cage's linedefs is even marked as impassable. Maybe it has something to do with my nodebuilder messing something up?

I forgot to mention it, but I noticed in the video Clippy uploaded the music is different on my map. Not a huge deal, but I kinda intended for the track to be the regular Doom 2 one. If you wouldn't mind changing it back, I'd appreciate it.

RC2.1 is out! This is more of a minor update.

• Changed MAP04's MIDI
  • Cyberdemon can no longer go outside the cage in MAP21

Download RC2.1!

16 hours ago, DiR said:

Oh wow, you used my map art of the severed hand holding an ice cream cone! I'm honoured to be the intermission screen picture lol

Buddy - that was some of the coolest and most brilliantly creative stuff I have seen - I can't say enough good things

PS I played RC2 - this morning - before 2.1 came out - @Biodegradable stuck around & @Pistoolkip also visited for a good chunk of video

Hold on to your butts here comes some tags as I read through the text file

@Pistoolkip @HrnekBezucha @knifeworld @dotQLL @Walter confetti @Large Cat @DiR @Thelokk

someone tag whoever made 26 I can't seem to find them : LSC Lasico ... and the playtime says 5 mins are you kidding me? lol

moving on:

@Fryuko @russin22 @Death Bear @Nikku4211 @Nikku4211 @RedBoule @DiR @russin22 @Vrhrlv

Alright - I had a blast - being able to play a whole megawad and sample multiple mappers artistry while seeing the creative ideas spawned from a 64 vertices limitation was a memorable and interesting experience  - extreme kudos to everyone involved!

Here it is: the fabled RC3!

• Map26 has been updated (courtesy of LSC Lasico)
  • Starting sectors of maps without secrets are now marked as secrets (courtesy of LSC Lasico)
  • Fixed a potential softlock in MAP12
  • Deathmatch starts added to MAPs 11, 14, 26
  • Coop starts added to MAP26
  • EXITSIGN has been adjusted to fit the unconventional use in maps

Download RC3!

Just played through half of this, had an absolute blast!  Somehow got all chapters in the video lol, if you want to find your map!  Of course RC2.1 but looks like there isn't too much changed.  Love to see all the creativity everybody has with such a small limitation.  Sometimes blasting through bite sized challenges is just what the doctor ordered and this scratches that itch well!

There are definitely a couple of difficulty spikes, especially Crash N Burn lol, but that one was actually fun to figure out.  Even the hard stuff is only a quick restart away, which gives things a real super meat boy vibe in a way!  Already recorded the second episode and probably have 1 more (at least) after that.  Great work everyone!