Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Doomworld Maximum Project 2022 - Uploaded!

3 hours ago, Obsidian said:

@DoctorNuriel There's 2 spots in your map with what looks to be deliberately untextured walls: are those intentional?

You're talking about the grated "windows", right? Yes, these are intentional :) thank you for addressing it!

10 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

@horselessheadsman How are you supposed to play your map? It doesn't jump right into things like some pk3 fils do, nor does appear in any of the map slots, fam.

@knifeworld Sorry mate, but I found this map really confusing and I also had severe frame-rate issues on GZ making it borderline unplayable.

Damn, hopefully this next updated version is better. That's really strange to hear you had framerate issues, I play and map on a nearly 14 year old 2 core laptop with crappy integrated graphics and didn't have major fps issues on GZ with this map.

I used a shitton of barrels stacked on top of eachother to heavily damage and also push archies into teleport lines, so that they suddenly appear and some even die, I thought maybe that was causing it but I tested the (older) update version earlier and it seemed fine.
The only part I had fps issues with in GZ was at the beggining archie jumpscare, because of having dynamic lights on.

With that said, here's the update: https://mega.nz/file/u1sWXR7A#1hUixQD-PLHLTPUr9sgolOK3F2X6kXx_RmA1CyMyW4I

Main Changes:
-renamed custom textures with KW prefix
-properly credited the Plut MIDI Pack midi as "Plurry" by Bucket
(both of these are noted in a text file, along with a list of the textures and what they were renamed to)

Other Changes:
-made Blue Skull Key easier to see
-removed an out of place sky ceiling without a sky transfer
-minor texture fixes + fixed a couple of missing ones
-2 zombies at the first hallway, to delay the player just enough so the

Spoiler

archies in the "maze" can catch up quicker to make it more dangerous and spooky

as I intended.
-removed 100's of stacked barrels that might cause issues in Gz

Tested in: dsda-doom 0.25.0, GZdoom 4.10, Woof 10.4, Prboom-plus umapinfo 262

Older update here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2589715

As for the progression and general nature of the map: (spoilered for spoilers)

Spoiler

Some of the tele and floor effects are meant to be disorienting or unexpected, with the pitch black tunnel you teleport in after leaving the room with all the corpses in it, if it's too dark just carefully run and turn around for a few seconds and you should see the flesh wall, go to it, then just run back the other way and you'll go through 2 more silent teleports and find yourself at the opposite end of the large STARGReen hallway from where the BSK is.

The progression is linear, you need the BSK for the exit.
The pit with cybers that you see before you go and grab the key shouldn't look like you're supposed to go down there, the indicator pole near the pit is just there to tell you that you need the key for what's beyond.
The pit is inescapeable until you turn around to get the key, which should now be seen more easily at the other end of the hallway from where you end up after the teleport sequence.

On the way back you'll see the pit has raised, you can squeeze between the cybers or wake one up and move him away, then jump down into the next room with the flesh ceiling and scrolling tekwalls.
The idea here is that you get a megasphere and think a "normal fight" might be about to happen, but if you look at the cacodemons you'll see that you need to run through them, you can nudge the cyber and get him to fire into them to make this easier.
After this, it's pretty much a clear dash to the exit door.

on GZdoom the caco part is harder because hitboxes are bigger for some silly reason.
I had the same issue for my "just like a Baron ass" map in Final Door where you had to walk through a tunnel and avoid touching the barons, on boom-compatible ports it was hard but very doable, on GZ it was basically impossible.

Edited by knifeworld : mentioned proper credit for midi and textures in text file, also changed texture names to use KW prefix. Also also, mentioned ports tested

20 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

How are you supposed to play your map? It doesn't jump right into things like some pk3 fils do, nor does appear in any of the map slots, fam.

Plug "map coldhell" into the console.

4 hours ago, horselessheadsman said:

Plug "map coldhell" into the console.

No worries, mate. Pardon the pun, but this map was super cool! I really enjoyed the progression and snowy landscape. Definitely a top favourite!

On 12/24/2022 at 4:39 PM, Ninehills42 said:

Finally finished my map!

Name: Blood of the Void
Author: Ninehills42
Format: Boom (barely, almost ran out of linedefs)
Difficulty levels: Added
Textures: N42*

Music: Hocus Pocus Theme originally by Rob Wallace
Jumping, Crouching: No

Co-Op: No
Freelook: No, but it wont break the map
Build time: ~300ish hours, but i didnt measure it, might be more, might be less
Tested in: Prboom+ v2.6.2 (Suggested sourceport, or similar), GZdoom g4.1.3 (laggy), Zandronum 3.1 (very laggy)
Description: I dont actually remember where I got the idea from, but I wanted to make a black+red themed map for quite a while, so I've decided to make it this year. At first I didnt plan it to be a slaughter map, but it turned out to be one. UV is very difficult, HMP is more forgiving but still challanging, and HNTR is for "casual" playthrough (you will still die when playing through the first time). Hint: secrets are switch based, please don't hump black walls.

Download: BloodoftheVoid.7z

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20221224_220938.png.9e26371331aef84db659733783e5f4bc.pngScreenshot_Doom_20221224_221047.png.13e616b164538f5f09298a2106c827eb.pngScreenshot_Doom_20221224_221119.png.b9f154c594340be21164275c3d6e7476.pngScreenshot_Doom_20221224_221219.png.30d997a3b1b015a18a8ed74a5e748d76.png

Any feedback is welcome :)

Oh and Merry Christmas everyone!

I enjoyed my time with this one. My biggest complaint was the progression kinda leading me back to areas and I wouldnt notice the actual way to go, but I thought the fights were well made and the map looks great! thanks

It's a very cool map indeed, got a good aesthetic. I do however have some issues that I'd like to bring to @Ninehills42's attention.

• I noticed what seems to be a new palette in your submission, which I'll have to remove so it doesn't affect the other maps: not a biggie, just figured you should know.
  • I also noticed duplicates of IWAD textures that I can't quite discern the purpose of. Are they different in any way to their IWAD counterparts?
  • And this one's more of a general bug report: the switch in the arena can be pressed while it's lowered into the surrounding platform, which causes it to bug out somewhat.
Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230108_145257.png

On 1/4/2023 at 9:35 AM, Obsidian said:

@Optimus and @HalfLife9000, I noticed that neither of you included music in your submissions. Are the two of you all good with me popping D_RUNNIN into those music slots?

Oh yeah, and also TITLEPIC:

TITLEPIC 2.png

Yes, I usually just make a map and never even think about the music side of things, don't know how to write music for Doom and neither bother to specify one. Just pop in there whatever you seem fit.

10 hours ago, Obsidian said:

It's a very cool map indeed, got a good aesthetic. I do however have some issues that I'd like to bring to @Ninehills42's attention.

• I noticed what seems to be a new palette in your submission, which I'll have to remove so it doesn't affect the other maps: not a biggie, just figured you should know.
  • I also noticed duplicates of IWAD textures that I can't quite discern the purpose of. Are they different in any way to their IWAD counterparts?
  • And this one's more of a general bug report: the switch in the arena can be pressed while it's lowered into the surrounding platform, which causes it to bug out somewhat.
  Reveal hidden contents

1. Ye i was playing around with palettes, i guess i forgot to change it back to the original, thanks
2. Yeah. The switches. I dont wanna talk about it :D (Ok, i copied them from cc4, and for some reason i thought they are cc4 textures)
3. I also noticed that bug. It doesn't cause a problem, but I dont have an easy solution for it. Unfortunately switches can be pressed underground too...

19 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Should i correct it or its not a big deal? Considering my map doesnt have many textures anyways

4 minutes ago, Ninehills42 said:

Should i correct it or its not a big deal? Considering my map doesnt have many textures anyways

I just went ahead and fixed them up for you anyway, heh: thankfully SLADE has a maintainence tool that replaces textures and flats for you, so I just swapped out the duplicates for their IWAD counterparts. The raising switch bug is still in there, but like you said it's not a biggie and I didn't wanna risk screwing up the node structure in your map by going in there and trying to bugfix it myself.

50 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

I just went ahead and fixed them up for you anyway, heh: thankfully SLADE has a maintainence tool that replaces textures and flats for you, so I just swapped out the duplicates for their IWAD counterparts. The raising switch bug is still in there, but like you said it's not a biggie and I didn't wanna risk screwing up the node structure in your map by going in there and trying to bugfix it myself.

I may try to fix it, because I already found a lighting but that needs to be fixed.

Edited by Ninehills42

On 1/8/2023 at 3:00 AM, Obsidian said:

And this one's more of a general bug report: the switch in the arena can be pressed while it's lowered into the surrounding platform, which causes it to bug out somewhat.

Reveal hidden contents

Turns out, the fix was much easier than I imagined! I just had to move a few lines back so that the switch has time to raise before its commanded to lower.
Also fixed the light bug i mentioned.
Fixed version in the original post: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2586894

It was a pleasure! And I'm not done! Blood of the Void by Ninehills took me a good chunk of time, but I enjoyed it quite a lot! There's some wild variety in most of what I played so far, which has been the majority of the Boom/MDF category. Looking forward to doing some more live runthroughs of it as time allows.

You can catch what was done today here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1707477620

I don't have timestamps for it at this time, but I start pretty much at the beginning of the Boom/MDF playlist, but didn't quite make it all the way through.

Alright, some timestamps on the VOD!

Between Levels by @Walter confetti - 7:30

Necroduct by MEEEEEEEE - 11:29

Fortress of Hate by @Silhouette 03 -  18:07

Gura Ring Fit Fun Time by @E.M. - 23:55

Emerging Threat by @TheV1perK1ller - 43:30

Caught Red Handed by @obake -  48:47 (also a MAPINFO bug, my bad!)

A Duras Penas by @Cacodemon187 1:03:18

Sentinel Station by @jazzmaster9 - 1:19:08

stop me if you've heard this one, etc etc by @eltiolavara9 - 1:36:06

Blood of the Void by @Ninehills42 - 1:52:16

Ember City by @WindbagJacket -  4:44:12

The Mutation Device by @knifeworld - 5:27:57

Timestamps for VOD number 2!

Nuts1024 by @El Inferno: 7:29

I Dare You to Fuckin' Try Bitch! by @Xyzzy01: 45:26 (also an odd bug with the hub that I'm gonna look into)

Discover and Apply by @SuyaSS: 47:52

New map by @Worm318: 56:24

Against the Smiling Horde by @Pegleg: 1:05:09

Point Violation by @Scorpius: 1:21:35

House of Dischord by @cannonball: 1:33:38

Nuclear Waste Processing Base by @epicyolomaster420: 1:54:33

Blow it All to Hell by @Razza: 2:20:55

The Cell by @Roofi: 2:35:00 (same bug happened here, might have to do with death exits)

Palms by @Katamori: 2:48:48

Obsidian is a champ for timestamping all these. That's arguably more work than me beating my head against hard fights!

That was fun! Thank you to @Obsidian for letting me do a live playtest of the project! Hopefully, there was some insight into some of the maps for the authors to pick through with how I approached the maps or feedback I might have talked about while playing through em. This kinda thing might be something I do in the future!

Now that I'm done with the session, the video link is up

Since Obsidian is away for the moment, I'll link some timestamps and hopefully tag the right people.

A Bloated Notion by @Thelokk - 6:09

Nuked Dukem by @Ezper - 25:41

The Arch-Demon's Manse by @Demondice - 32:44

Hell's Terminus by @smeghammer - 44:27

Underground Brawl 22 by @xScavengerWolfx - 1:04:41

Brown Note by @DrJordo - 1:14:36

Viridis Extrema by Russell Bowtell (Didn't see a username to match this to) - 1:17:29

A Cold Day In Hell by @horselessheadsman - 1:45:48

3 hours ago, Xenaero said:

784vgc.jpg.ea7b522c94a53510f29fa4e3e993a514.jpg

No miracles saved my ass, sadly.

A true testament to my... ahem, humble beginnings.

Edited by Thelokk

7 hours ago, Xenaero said:

That was fun! Thank you to @Obsidian for letting me do a live playtest of the project! Hopefully, there was some insight into some of the maps for the authors to pick through with how I approached the maps or feedback I might have talked about while playing through em. This kinda thing might be something I do in the future!

Now that I'm done with the session, the video link is up

Since Obsidian is away for the moment, I'll link some timestamps and hopefully tag the right people.

Nuked Dukem by @Ezper - 25:41

The Arch-Demon's Manse by @Demondice - 32:44

Hell's Terminus by @smeghammer - 44:27

Underground Brawl 22 by @xScavengerWolfx - 1:04:41

Brown Note by @DrJordo - 1:14:36

Viridis Extrema by Russell Bowtell (Didn't see a username to match this to) - 1:17:29

A Cold Day In Hell by @horselessheadsman - 1:45:48

Just watched your vid! Thanks for playing, and the feedback.

Yeah.... The numbers are ACS debug. If you play from the beginning several times, you may notice that each of the main area teleports go to different targets each time, there's a script that randomises the teleport targets each time you start the map, and I did a lot of debug during development.  I'm a bit shit at removing debugs... I can get rid of them easily enough though. I'll do that later and upload again if it s not too late.

17 hours ago, Thelokk said:

A true testament to my... ahem, humble beginnings.

Everyone starts somewhere.