Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsda-dev

dsda-doom v0.25.6 [2023-01-15]

3 minutes ago, Andrea Rovenski said:

does hexen format mean its possible some zdoom-in-hexen maps would be functional without zdoom? Also, congrats on release :D

Back when hexen format support was first implemented some people went looking and did find some zdoom maps that could be completed. The port doesn't currently support decorate, acs, or mapinfo though, which still rules out a lot of stuff.

The indexed light mode looks like great! I did notice a small bug regarding Hexen, the last part of the Fighter's punch animation seems to happen twice if attacking an enemy and killing it. 

Thanks for the shoutout! I'll make a longer post at some point showing off the new indexed lightmode in more detail (and listing a few known to-do items and some other related musings), but tl;dr the idea is to emulate the look of the software renderer as closely as possible. Just keep in mind this is basically version 1.0 of the feature, and it's very much not perfect yet. There will probably be bugs, there are a few known to-dos and "unfinished" bits (spectres in particular), and it's still pr+'s GL renderer under the hood, which has made a lot of major improvements in terms of compatibility in recent years but isn't perfect either (i.e. some visual tricks still break in GL). That said, definitely give it a try; the more eyes on it, the better. :P

[EDIT] Also need to give a huge shoutout to @jmickle66666666, since this whole deal is really just an adaptation of her work getting Doom software lighting working in shaderville in Unity -- she made a great blog post about it here, which was basically the blueprint for this whole thing: https://medium.com/@jmickle_/writing-a-doom-style-shader-for-unity-63fa13678634

Also, some questions for @dsda-dev:

- Did something change about sounds getting cut off? It seems to only happen sometimes.
- Is it still possible to limit max view pitch in software mode?

Btw, it might just be me, but I feel like the extended hud font characters aren't being adjusted to doom format like everything else, so they seem kinda stretched out.

I'm running win7. All pre v25 releases had a dsda-launcher. Has it been removed? I've double checked, v24.3 has it, v25 doesn't.

I'll post more details about what does/doesn't work if indeed the launcher has been removed. If not, then my question is, how do I get the launcher to come up? Shift click on the exe, iwad, pwad or lmp used to do it before.

1 hour ago, maxmanium said:

- Is it still possible to limit max view pitch in software mode?

movement_maxviewpitch is among the deconfigured settings, it now assumes the default values of 56 degrees up, 32 degrees down for software mode.

1 hour ago, maxmanium said:

Btw, it might just be me, but I feel like the extended hud font characters aren't being adjusted to doom format like everything else, so they seem kinda stretched out.

Technically it's 0.24.3 that compresses the characters rather than 0.25.0 stretching them, but no it's not just you. The extended HUD is now scaled independently; there's a setting to adjust the scale but it doesn't let you squish the characters like before.

54 minutes ago, tmorrow said:

I'm running win7. All pre v25 releases had a dsda-launcher. Has it been removed? I've double checked, v24.3 has it, v25 doesn't.

I'll post more details about what does/doesn't work if indeed the launcher has been removed. If not, then my question is, how do I get the launcher to come up? Shift click on the exe, iwad, pwad or lmp used to do it before.

From the patch notes:

• Removed legacy windows launcher
    • See the official launcher by PBeGood4 here.

Ok, I'll stick to 24.3 thanks.

I guess there's no point posting what does/doesn't work without the use of an external launcher.

I know you meant well but that suggested launcher is disgusting. The launcher's first suggestion is to move all of my iwads to the launcher directory (which would break all other engines that use the DOOMWADDIR environment variable to know where the iwad/pwads live, like vanilla, chocolate, crispy, prboom+, zdoom and gzdoom). To humor it, I copied the iwads instead and then tried to playback a demo by dragging and dropping as it suggested. It then failed because the launcher is unable to parse pathname's properly (can't handle paths with spaces in them). At that point I deleted the launcher.

I enjoy being able to shift/double click the exe, iwad, pwad or lmp (even within a zip) and let stuff just work.

Edited by tmorrow : had a deeper look at the launcher. Ugh!

6 hours ago, maxmanium said:

@Xaser Would it be possible to properly emulate the sprites clipping into the floor?

Sorry, I'm not planning on diving any further into the GL engine than whatever's necessary to support the new lighting mode. I'm nowhere near a GL expert; I basically learned just enough to get this particular feature in working order, since it's been on my wishlist for aeons. :P

That said, it's still worth bringing these things up, since there are some other folks who have poked and prodded at the GL renderer a bit in recent-ish times, but that's a pretty big undertaking from my understanding and I'm not the guy for the job, unfortunately.

The concept can likely be borrowed from Strife:VEs GL renderer if someone's confident enough to dig into it. It's shaderless so should fit in dsda reasonably well.

An early christmas present, I see! Sadly I'm unable to play Doom until the 26th :(

One question: I've usually made the version update by extracting the package on my old DSDA directory so as to preserve settings. As I understood, configuration stuff has been revamped, so I take it this is not a viable option this time?

I have been waiting for this one to be (Christmas) presented for a while. Glad it's finally being released to the (X)masses!!!

VirusTotal says the release on GitHub is malicious. Is the program safe to run?

Which file are you using? for me there are zero positives:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/34b6e9e1ef3ad363387f07a057a8ea688e1baa07a7b67c427a8c0f4256c24033?nocache=1

Even if I extract dsda-doom.exe I get no positives:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/aeb9dc1744e454744e68888ab3ba537d2bdf17e52932151d7d952546db99c21b

If the sha256 of you dsda-doom.exe v0.25.0-win32 is not aeb9dc1744e454744e68888ab3ba537d2bdf17e52932151d7d952546db99c21b then you got infected.

The "use extended HUD" button acts weird. If the extended HUD + status bar is on, and you disable the ex HUD, the ex HUD won't disappear until you change the view size using + or -. Also, the auto map doesn't show the map name anymore.

20 minutes ago, Ramon_Demestre said:

Which file are you using? for me there are zero positives:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/34b6e9e1ef3ad363387f07a057a8ea688e1baa07a7b67c427a8c0f4256c24033?nocache=1

Even if I extract dsda-doom.exe I get no positives:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/aeb9dc1744e454744e68888ab3ba537d2bdf17e52932151d7d952546db99c21b

If the sha256 of you dsda-doom.exe v0.25.0-win32 is not aeb9dc1744e454744e68888ab3ba537d2bdf17e52932151d7d952546db99c21b then you got infected.

I'm talking about the release on https://github.com/kraflab/dsda-doom, not the ones you are using.

1 hour ago, RHhe82 said:

One question: I've usually made the version update by extracting the package on my old DSDA directory so as to preserve settings. As I understood, configuration stuff has been revamped, so I take it this is not a viable option this time?

You can still use your existing config, as the file format has remained the same. There are a lot of new settings added and old settings removed, though, so if you were thinking of refreshing your config, now would be a good time to do so.

14 minutes ago, pltr said:

The "use extended HUD" button acts weird. If the extended HUD + status bar is on, and you disable the ex HUD, the ex HUD won't disappear until you change the view size using + or -.

Can confirm the same, I think this is a bug.

14 minutes ago, pltr said:

Also, the auto map doesn't show the map name anymore.

I'm pretty sure this behaves the same as it did in 0.24.3 - the map name is hidden when using overlay mode, but is not hidden otherwise.

I've been playing around with the customizable full screen HUD and it works well.

custom HUD

However, I do have a few nitpicks:

• For big_X HUD components, the character width always matches the "Not adjusted" setting of the "Status Bar and Menu Appearance" option, not your chosen setting. Also, the character kerning is inconsistent between the 1 0 and the 0 0.

nit1

• For big_ammo, the color is always red.
  • For big_health and big_armor, the sprites are always visible. It would be nice if there was an option that hides them.

1 hour ago, Shepardus said:

I'm pretty sure this behaves the same as it did in 0.24.3 - the map name is hidden when using overlay mode, but is not hidden otherwise.

It's a bit different.

In 0.24.3, if ex HUD is on, the map name shows up if overlay mode is off. If overlay mode is on, you see the ex HUD instead of them map name. If ex HUD is off, then the map name always shows up.

In 0.25.0, the map name shows up if overlay is off and hides if overlay is on, regardless of whether ex HUD is on.

Very cool release! I'm really liking the nearly full and yet also minimal HUD.

Also, maybe old news but thanks for redirecting ENDOOM to the terminal too.

Have all OpenGL filtering options been removed? At the very least, I enjoyed using gl_nearest and 16x anisotropic for better fidelity on distant textures.

Have you tried switching the lightmode from "indexed" to "shaders"? Fancy GL options like filtering and anisotropy aren't compatible with the indexed lightmode, so you'd need to switch back to one of the truecolor modes first.

If it's still not working, it may have been pruned, but:

If a setting was removed, it doesn't mean it can't come back - it only means that it did not make the initial cut as I was prioritizing the things that have clear, fundamental importance.

At least one other person has posted about missing anisotropic filtering, so you're not alone on it.