Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Bear

D-30 (7+ Episodes for Doom 1) (RC1)

Holy shit, these look too good to be speedmaps. Now I just need a secret dimension in which time flows 1,000,000 slower so I can play this over the weekend :O

Holy crap! This mapset is awesome so far. Oozing good atmosphere and excellent battles. 10/5!

Seven episodes?!? Are you challenging John Romero in a roundabout way to make SIGIL III? :P

4 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Seven episodes?!? Are you challenging John Romero in a roundabout way to make SIGIL III? :P

I mean…if John wants to make it a trilogy, I’ll be the first in line. Personally speaking though, I’m just excited for Hellion.

5 hours ago, Firedust said:

Holy shit, these look too good to be speedmaps. Now I just need a secret dimension in which time flows 1,000,000 slower so I can play this over the weekend :O

It's because most probably weren't

Build Time Limit: Nope. Not this time. But our deadline is pretty solid. So, if you want to “speedmap” it, that’s fine. Either way, you’ve got a limited time.

I can't remember how long I took to make my map, but it was definitely not a speedmap...

Congrats on the release, that's a lot of maps! I wonder if this is the biggest wad made for Doom 1? 

I'm a firm believer in the adage, "There's no such thing as too much D1!" Thanks for proving the point with brilliant early maps by @MAN_WITH_GUN and @muumi. Much fun was had and this is just the start. :)

Shout out to @Ludi, who was able to take my demented map ideas and actually make a coherent level around them. And thanks to everyone who used my music! 

1 hour ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Shout out to @Ludi, who was able to take my demented map ideas and actually make a coherent level around them. And thanks to everyone who used my music! 

It's about time you made a map :D

But seriously I've wanted to make some shit with Mr. Freeze for a good while. The midi is uncanny as hell and I love it

10 hours ago, Firedust said:

This one wasn't speedmapping. We had all of November to work on maps. I guess you could call this one a Pineapple Under the Sea Supermapping event :P

Posted (edited)

How come the Absurdity RC1 only has 4 maps in it? I remember the last beta had 9.

Edit: I also just found that Vol2 has two pieces of music named D_E3M3.

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel

2 hours ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

How come the Absurdity RC1 only has 4 maps in it? I remember the last beta had 9.

Edit: I also just found that Vol2 has two pieces of music named D_E3M3.

Ah, thank you so much. That would be because I'm a silly ole' bear and messed that up. I've updated BOTH of those things. So, for anyone seeing this, it may be worth a re-download, because I'd hate for you to only get to play half of Absurdity. My bad, y'all.

Just noticed I forgot to supply a music credit. Its E1M3 by Mr. Freeze from the DTWID soundtrack. Apologies!

Swift Crater Facility by @Peccatum Mihzamiz and Blast Terminal by @Lina are a couple more excellent maps, though I do object to the Spectres in the nukage at the RL fight in Swift Crater Facility, since it's a meta-gamey way of trolling a rocket fight when they draw your rockets down. It also makes maxing a PITA, since for safety's sake I used the single shotty to take them out.

One thing both maps had in common was bigass fights! They weren't unusually dangerous, but it was fun to blast those mini-hordes, and each map had several such fights. They definitely keep you awake. ;)

I'd also like to mention that all the original, or at least unfamiliar midi tracks by David Shaw, @Bloo, and @leejacksonaudio were outstanding and really kept things pumping.

I played the prologue and the first two episodes.  I'll list a few bugs below.  These maps were played with GZDoom version 4.9.0 using software rendering.  I'm busy for the next two weeks, so I probably won't be playing more of this until after it hits idgames.

E1M5 - Missing step textures in a secret area.

Spoiler

Bxul2G9.jpg

E1M9 - The Cacodemons in this monster closet are getting blocked by a barrel.

This is an old screenshot & all the monsters use to be affected by this, but now only the Cacodemons are large enough to be blocked from teleporting in.

Spoiler

opSe31k.jpg

E1M8 - The sector behind the vines in this screenshot has its light randomly turn on & off (the one that gives access to a secret).  When it turns off, the vines bleed through the floor.

Spoiler

8gzEjd3.jpg

Played the first level by @MAN_WITH_GUN and have to say it's an awesome start for an episode. Excellent design and atmosphere which brings sense of discovery in exploration of new amazing location, and what better way to introduce hidden areas could be than by a collapsing floor? Such scenes worked great in Strife: Quest for the Sigil and Build version of Powerslave, and it works great here too.

Since the eighth episode is the prologue, and on top of the episodes, you could probably make them E0M1 to E0M4, or use the Label field in UMAPINFO to do so if that naming scheme breaks ports. GZDoom ignores the Label field unfortunately (You could also use that Label field to have 'Prologue 1: Hung Up' or 'PRM1: Hung Up' showing on DSA/Woof/Eternity for some other examples)

67 UD maps is pretty awesome though, gonna watch for the final version of this for sure

Posting a follow up update just because it deserves it.

So I played every episode. but not necessarily every map, basically did YOLO runs on each episode on HMP using a fun mod that doesnt break anything too bad. 

All I got to say that even the ugly maps make up for their ugliness with excellent combat. The vast majority of the maps have a detail quality that is obscenely almost unnecessary, but oodles appreciated. Welcome to easily one of my Top 5 for D1 megawads, if not Number 1 itself. Its excellent to see the homage to D1 itself in so many maps with much more than just a simple hat tip, and also just ideas with Vanilla Textures that are EYEBALL POPPING. The amount of experience reflected in this work of art is virtuoso is many spots.

Just Damn!! Is all I can say after I got a really good bunch of bites taken out of this wonderful eye-candy cake of DOOM.

2 hours ago, Devalaous said:

Since the eighth episode is the prologue, and on top of the episodes, you could probably make them E0M1 to E0M4, or use the Label field in UMAPINFO to do so if that naming scheme breaks ports. GZDoom ignores the Label field unfortunately (You could also use that Label field to have 'Prologue 1: Hung Up' or 'PRM1: Hung Up' showing on DSA/Woof/Eternity for some other examples)

67 UD maps is pretty awesome though, gonna watch for the final version of this for sure

I could maybe play with it. E0 was my first inclination and it did not work. Could be that I did it wrong, but I didn’t think I did.

Played through the prologue and episode 1. Only problem I had was that in E1M5, the switch at line 1512 does not lower sector 287 because the lost souls in the sector are stuck in the ceiling. It works in complevel 9 and above but not complevel 3.

I went through the whole "D-30" and was faced with the fact that I did not get the text after killing the Bosses on Episodes 5, 6 and 7. As if "finishgame" was not registered. Moreover, this applies only to the Full Edition, since there are no such problems in Individual WADs.

Edited by Blacklight

I might just be dumb but is there no exit for E5M8?? I can't seem to find one and I even killed myself to see if that triggered the next map or the story cause I believe that's what is supposed to be next. In the screenshot exit triggers would be white as that's what I have my settings set to. I'm playing on GZDoom with Default option selected for compatibility however I did cycle through all the option sto see if anything happened and nothing happened.

Screenshot_Doom_20240227_005330.png

1 hour ago, Dragneel1967 said:

I might just be dumb but is there no exit for E5M8?? I can't seem to find one and I even killed myself to see if that triggered the next map or the story cause I believe that's what is supposed to be next. In the screenshot exit triggers would be white as that's what I have my settings set to. I'm playing on GZDoom with Default option selected for compatibility however I did cycle through all the option sto see if anything happened and nothing happened.

In dsda-doom and Woof the level ends when all the barons die, while in GZDoom nothing happens when the enemies die. In the split WADs version the map occupies the E2M8 slot, so the level ends when the cyberdemon dies, which I guess is the intended way for the map to end.