Find results in...
NaZa

The DWIronman League dies to: Shotgun Symphony

July, 2023

Screenshot_Doom_20230701_003954.png

> The yearly standings

> The Ironman Discord Server

Standard Leaderboard

1. [1] SURVIVED +1 (2:16:38): joe-ilya - Well and truly joins the fight for 10th with this run. Hats off.
  2. [1] SURVIVED +1 (3:40:21): Beginner - Died only once (/6) to an Ultimate Doom episode since 2019. A true beginner. :^)
  3. [1] SURVIVED +0 (1:34:01): Brainfreezzzzz - "Shotgunners."
  4. [1] SURVIVED +0 (1:57:09): LadyMistDragon - Took it slow, but it's still green. That's the true value of Ironman.
  5. [1] E1M5: Anima Zero - Hah, classic! So Good at Doom that the spectres got a piece of it.
  6. [1] E1M5: AxeL - I studied urban sprawl and I believe its definition does not mention cacodemons. Or nukage pools for that matter.
  7. [2] E1M4: Andromeda - I guess it's down to the map title. Nobody expects anything with Fava Beans mentioned to be difficult. :^)
  8. [1] E1M4: Xenaero - I don't feel you saw it coming. Ha ha. Ha... I'll see myself out. Nice to see you do a run, been a while!
  9. [1] E1M4: dt_ - That's anything but generic, heh. Brilliant and Efficient at Doom and Crowd Control.
  10. [1] E1M9: Asbadagba - All the shotgun guys ever did was... bre-e-eak you.
  11. [1] E1M3: TheNoob_Gamer - That bouncer was a sign of things to come. Mortified by seeing the skulls again.
  12. [1] E1M3: Vytaan - Gets the wrong weapon out, though shooting a rocket at the lost souls was the mark of bravery. Welcome!
  13. [2] E1M2: SCF - The shotgunner(s) shot first. Consistently.
  14. [2] E1M2: NaZa - The final minute is the ultimate proof luck tends to run out really quickly. Ouch.
  15. [2] E1M2: Austinado - Haha, love the spirit! Piles all the pressure from the spectres' teeth onto Horus.
  16. [1] E1M1: Horus - The Curse of Austinado struck.
  17. [1] E1M1: Vince Vega - Three is a Crowd!
  18. [1] E1M1: SuyaSS - Hope springs eternal. Gambled and rolled a seven.
  19. [1] E1M1: Suitepee - Well, you can take solace in the fact there were no further ambushes in the hallway itself... right?
  20. [1] E1M1: Ludi - PEEKABOO!!!
  21. [1] E1M1: Pegleg - The first nukage pool seemed like a run-ender for a split second. Glad that wasn't the case.
  22. [1] E1M1: NoisyVelvet - Glad you gave it a shot either way! Hope you get better soon :)

Prepared Leaderboard

1. [1] SURVIVED +0 (1:29:06): LadyMistDragon

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthly competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag at the bottom of the post for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In July 2023 the DWIronman League dies to Shotgun Symphony (-complevel 9) by our very own @Steve D, who's, besides being obviously a mapper, a prior veteran of this league! Some players who were active in 2018-19 might remember the Keyboard Kup :)) This Cacoward-winning mapset, released in 2019, is a replacement for the first episode and, as such, has a techbase feel; however, don't think it doesn't get corrupted as it goes (I wouldn't know, I didn't fully play it). There's monumental architecture as is common in Steve D's works. The set is themed after Fava Beans, however, maybe unexpected from a Fava Beans tribute, difficulty is notched up quite visibly - right from the get go. You'll figure out why this mapset is called Shotgun Symphony in a matter of seconds. Don't get caught out by the tongue-in-cheek map titles. Good luck, Ironmen; you'll need it as you navigate this gargantuan facility laid out in 8* levels. 

* :^)

Essential Info

• The Ultimate Doom (doom.wad).
  • Compatibility level 9, or "Boom (strict)" for ZDoom derivative ports.
  • 8+1 maps. Standard episode.
  • Time estimate (if survival): 90-180 minutes.

> Download Shotgun Symphony

prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom.wad -file sgnsym.wad -complevel 9 -skill 4 -record demo_name.lmp -warp

Rules:

Spoiler

• There are two competitions: Standard and Prepared:

• To compete successfully in the Standard competition: your first play of the selected WAD(s) constitutes your one and only attempt for the month.

• To compete successfully in the Prepared competition: your one and only attempt for the month is determined BY YOU immediately before play and may follow any prior number of active (playing the set) preparation that is strictly for practice/inspection purposes only. You cannot compete in the Standard competition after submitting a run to the Prepared competition. You may submit the first of your practice attempts to the Standard competition.

• UV only (excepting 1CC format), continuous recording. No pistol-starting each level.
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity or Chocolate), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
    • If you stream your run on Twitch, please highlight/save it so that it doesn't go missing in case someone's very late with the obituaries.
  • No additional WADs may be loaded. Cosmetic WADs are fine if they're purely cosmetic.
  • No inspection of the WAD(s)'s content in an editor if you are submitting a Standard run, its category 3 included.
  • No cheat codes and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.
  • If you choose to stream/record your run for video rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on the first map of a set OR because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels than their competitors will rank higher than them.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.
  • If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.
  • Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will stop your run immediately. You will still be registered as entering the next map (i.e. the one which you never entered) using a calculation to figure out what the intermission time would have been.
  • If you are competing in the Standard competition, you are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I cannot remember any details that would offer a reasonable advantage over truly blind players. *
  2. This is not a blind run. I have familiarity with the set - played the level/set before, or watched it being played, and can remember some details that would offer a reasonable advantage over blind players.
  3. This is not a blind run. While I have not outright played it, I've watched the level/set being played via stream, demo or video after it was announced as this month's challenge.

* "Reasonable" in this instance asks you to consider whether the details in question are worth committing to memory. As in, you would thank the person who gave you this information with a straight face and not expect to be laughed at for being an utter berk.

Previous threads:

Hide contents

Spoiler

07 - Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)

08 - Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)

09 - Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)

10 - Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: WH-Wilou84)

11 - Perdition's Gate (winner: WH-Wilou84)

12 - UAC Ultra (winner: PjSpartacus)

Spoiler

01 - Jade Earth (winner: Demon of the Well)

02 - Legacy of Heroes (winner: Roofi)

03 - Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)

04 - Mapgame (winner: ClonedPickle)

05 - Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)

06 - Disturbia (winner: Ancalagon)

07 - Insertion (winner: Veinen)

08 - Unholy Realms (winner: Demon of the Well)

09 - Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)

10 - Endgame & Endpoint (winner: Veinen)

11 - Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)

12 - Doom the Way id Did (winner: kmc)

Spoiler

01 - Combat Shock 2 (winner: Killer5)

02 - Coffee Break E1 (winner: Eris)

03 - Warlock's Hearth (winner: Demon of the Well)

04 - 50 Monsters (winner: WH-Wilou84)

05 - Double Impact (winner: RjY)

06 - Rush (winner: WH-Wilou84)

07 - The Darkening E1 & E2 (winner: Veinen)

08 - The Plutonia Experiment (winner: Zero-Master)

09 - Community Chest 4 - MAP20: Interstellar Sickness and MAP21: Shaman's Device (winner: leodoom85)

10 - Doom 64 for Doom II (winner: Roofi)

11 - TNT: Renascence & TNT: Resistance (winner: an_mutt)

12 - Ultimate Doom the Way id Did (winner: an_mutt)

Spoiler

01 - Hellfire: Dreams (winner: Beginner)

02 - THT: Threnody - MAP10: Fomalhaut (winner: Scotty)

03 - Stardate 20X6 (winner: WH-Wilou84)

04 - Base Ganymede: Complete (winner: Vince Vega)

05 - The DWIronman League died waiting for SIGIL (winner: John Romero)

06 - SIGIL (winner: leodoom85)

07 - Vanguard & Lunatic (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

08 - 2017 Collection (winner: an_mutt - prep winner: Vince Vega)

09 - Revolution! (winner: NaZa - prep winner: Pegleg)

10 - Monster Hunter Part I & Part II (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

11 - Abcess (winner: Demon of the Well - prep winner: Steve D?)

12 - Scythe (winner: Spectre01 - prep winner: Arbys550)

Spoiler

01 - Hellscape (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Archi)

02 - No Sleep for the Dead (winner: Ancalagon - prep winner: Anima Zero)

03 - Baker's Dozen (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

04 - Occult Secrets of the Third Reich & Biotech is Godzilla (winner: joe-ilya - prep winner: Horus)

05 - Bloody Rust (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: dt_)

06 - Vrack 1, 2 and 3 (winner: ReaperAA - prep winner: Bashe)

07 - Running Late 2 (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Pegleg)

08 - Epic (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Daerik)

09 - Hell Revealed (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)

10 - Dark Resolution 2008 (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Austinado)

11 - 2002: A Doom Odyssey: 10th Anniversary Edition Episode 3 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

12 - Eviternity (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Pegleg)

Spoiler

01 - Sawdust (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Daerik)

02 - Alien Vendetta (winner: Demonologist - prep winner: Anima Zero)

03 - Criticality & Miasma (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)

04 - World Orifice (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Killer5)

05 - Violence (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: ScrappyMcDoogerton)

06 - Firebox (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: 4shockblast)

07 - Scythe 2 (winner: Arbys550 - prep winner: an_mutt)

08 - Resurgence (winner: Beginner - prep winner: Suitepee)

09 - The Eye (winner: galileo31dos01 - prep winner: an_mutt)

10 - Glaive & Glaive 2 (winner: Veinen - prep winner: Tezur0)

11 - Sunlust (winner: Daerik - prep winner: nobody)

12 - H2H-XMas (winner: Daerik - prep winner: 4shockblast)

Spoiler

01 - Realm of Shades (winner: mhrz - prep winner: Pegleg)

02 - Return to Hadron E1 (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: Maribo)

03 - Syringe (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: SCF)

04 - Jägermörder 1 and 2 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Maribo)

05 - The Rebirth (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: NaZa)

06 - Man on the Moon (winner: Master Medi - prep winner: ginc)

07 - Vigor (winner: akolai - prep winner: SCF)

08 - Somewhere in Time (winner: Archi - prep winner: NaZa)

09 - Sucker Punch 1 & 2 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

10 - Sharp Things (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: LadyMistDragon)
11 - Knee-Deep in the Dead + .deh (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: Lol 6)

12 - Christmas Cheer from the Chill Zone (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: NaZa)

Spoiler

01 - Bury My Heart Knee Deep (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Maribo)

02 - LAZAREVENANT - 13 map WIP demo (winner: Suitepee - prep winner: nobody)

03 - Demonic Deviation (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: nobody)

04 - Beyond Revival (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Anima Zero)

05 - Malevolence (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Anima Zero)

06 - Return to Purgatory (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Anima Zero)

Edited by NaZa : leaderboard update.

Category: 2

Dead on: E1M4 (no E1M9)

Kills: 50/280

Time on E1M3 exit: 48:21

One of the few instances where I didn't play cautiously in the whole demo, and paid the price for it - stupid shotgunners...

im_andromeda_sngsym.zip

Category: 2

Dead on: E1M2

Kills: 78/259

DWIL_23-07_sgnsym_SCF.zip

Spoiler

Once again, I don't see the appeal of Doom 1 maps. Even after 15 minutes I was already pretty done with slowly crawling through corridors where the only threat is surprise hitscanners, and you're constantly running out of ammo.

Category 2 because I tried playing this wad half a year ago, but I remembered almost nothing other than that it had some awfully obscure secrets. That knowledge certainly didn't help me find any of them this time.

Category 1 demo. Survived w/ secret map visited in 3:40:21.

Low tier monsters are absolutely everywhere: they're spread around the map, somewhere far away out of autoaim reach and sniping your ass, around corners, in corners, inside monster closets, inside closets inside secrets, inside closets inside monster closets, hell, maybe there are some hiding in this spoiler here!

Spoiler

SPOSF1.png?rlkey=kkopcinx462juk6m85rfwhb

I warned you about them, bro!

If you're not careful chip damage is going to accumulate fast. However, if your secret game is good then you're likely going to be in good shape and have blue armor on at all times.

Edited by Beginner

CAT: 2 (I have played this before)

Died : E1M2

Kills : 238/259

When pressing Start on the video it starts the run

Prepared survival in 1:29:06

I actually thought this was fantastic unlike the last set but well, you've seen my other demo by now. I need something acceptable.

Truth is it would be entirely possible to get it under 1:15:00 but um, yeah, how much time should be spent on this. Incidentally, E1M5 was still the hardest and you can guess why if you've played it.

lmd_ironsymp_prep12906.zip

I constantly run into discussion of this WAD on Youtube and the DWMC, so it was impossible for me to not get exposed by it. Cat 2, bit the dust inside the council of terrible ideas (resided in E1M3) :p 

nyukob_sgsymp.lmp.zip

I guess there's a reason this won a Cacoward - it does everything that felt right at home with Doom 1's restrictions. That said, I was more impressed with the sole Lost Soul bouncer, who almost brought me to my peril.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tag3muwtknylst/dtsgs.lmp?dl=1

I passed away in a really generic manner in m4

I completed the secret level

I was all about to call this a cat 2 run, having played what I believe to be shotgun symphony before, but it turns out it was either a really early and completely different version of this wad, or a completely different wad.  Either way, I've never seen this wad before, so cat 1.  It was fun

Category: 1

Dead on: E1M1

Kills: 25/175

Time of death: 1:37

dwi_pegleg_sgnsym_cat1.zip

Once again, lack of skill saves me from a large investment of time.

I like @Steve D's work and Shtogun Symphony is no exception, even given the little I saw of it. The aesthetics were nice and the encounters were set up well. I liked the ambushes and the constant need to move and prioritize targets given the enemies being in overlooking rooms or on the other sides of windows, in addition to being in front of and behind you. The ammo was sparse, at least at the beginning, but I'm sure that was intentional to amp up the pressure. Health was scattered, but seemed like it would be sufficient provided you didn't put yourself in too much of a hard way (like I did). This was a great choice.

Incidentally, I went back and played this on HNTR and I had a better time with it (but that shouldn't shock anyone) and it was quite enjoyable.

Edited by Pegleg : Added the zip file I forgot the first time and the note about playing on HNTR.

Obituaries finally added. I apologize for the long wait, I've explained on Discord I needed to take time off for a family emergency. Situation's cleared up for the better now, though. As for the challenge itself, joe-ilya holds the lead quite convincingly from @Beginner, who keeps quite a good record on tackling UDoom WADs in the last four years. 90 minutes is not a small amount of time in Ironman, yet @LadyMistDragon's prepared run opens the door for a sub-2 hour run as well. Will anyone dare risk it? All I know is, a lot of the runners will at least find solace in beating the host because hot damn my run is bad. Also glad to see @Xenaero return, as well as @TheNoob_Gamer and @Vytaan supply their debut runs! Hope to see you also in the future!

Not a lot of changes happened on the yearly board after last month. @Bdubzzz extended their lead with a 5th victory in 6 months (which beats even the mythical Krypto, whose best run was 4 in the opening six months, though BK had 7 successive wins from Sep 18 to Apr 19). @Asbadagba jumps into 2nd with @ginc 3rd, after LadyMistDragon falls three places. This month, the places reversed, as LMD looks to be profiting off of Asbadagba's premature death on E1M9. Elsewhere, @Pseudonaut joins the Top 10 at the expense of @Maribo, while @Brainfreezzzzz and Beginner might have only jumped two places each, but they made huge strides towards well and truly joining the fight for the Top 10- this is especially noteworthy considering their strong runs this month as well. @Darth_wiader, @SuyaSS and @Ludi also made impressive jumps across the board. But this month can mix most of that up - still far from over!

After last month's success, back to a flop for this month, died on the first map! Never really got a foothold the entire map really. Austin will be pleased!

Category 1

Died: E1M1

Kills: 116/175 kills

horus_ironman_2023_07.zip

I'm not even gonna provide stats, just watch the video. Gonna go jump off a bridge to escape the coming embarrassment.

Thanks to @Biodegradable for sharing in the schadenfreude

Spoiler

Category 1

Dead on E1M1

Time: 7:45

Kills: 86/175

im_sgnsym_suss.zip

Really nice wad. Unfortunately I did the mistake of actually thinking that the teleporter was the exit and let my guard down which caused the lost soul to maul me.

Category: 1

Dead: E1M1

Time: 0:51

Kills: 11/175

Demo: noisy_sgs_ironman.zip

I'm not in tip-top shape a.t.m, but wanted to get the demo out of the way because it's getting close to the end of the month.  Was hoping to limp my way through at least one map but a couple shotgunners surprised me.

Glad you gave it a shot, Noisy, despite not feeling too well. Hope you'll get better soon! 

@SuyaSSS, your demo somehow does play back on my end. Can you confirm this is the case for you too? If not, I'll check what I can do on my end to ensure playback.

1 hour ago, NaZa said:

@SuyaSSS, your demo somehow does play back on my end. Can you confirm this is the case for you too? If not, I'll check what I can do on my end to ensure playback.

Looks like there's a weird character in the file extension:

WKfZY5S.png

Removing the culprit fixes the issue.

Edited by Andromeda : added image (bit late, but eh :P)

21 hours ago, Andromeda said:

Looks like there's a weird character in the file extension:

WKfZY5S.png

Removing the culprit fixes the issue.

Thanks Andromeda.

18 hours ago, Suitepee said:

https://youtu.be/weqI8WmX1t0

Category 2 run (I played a beta version of this years ago). Died on map 1 with 43/180 monsters killed.

Care to guess what killed me? Hope you're happy with this pelt, @Steve D. I'm still waiting on Realms of Intensified Chaos. ;)

That was fine wine, John! Your reaction to dying made me laugh so hard I could barely breathe. :D

I really miss watching your streams. My work hours make it impossible on weekdays, and weekends are the only time I have for mapping. Which reminds me, I will indeed finish Realm of Intensified Chaos, alas, it has to wait until after Realm of Chaos 2 is released. The latter is, God willing, slated for this year, so 2024 is RoIC, the set that should have been released in 2015. ;D Mordeth award, maybe?