Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hazel-Rah

Comfy Maps (or, favourite maps to just exist in)

EASILY the given, its environments are so fleshed out, and everything just has character and purpose.

Spoiler

image.png.a839911955811498f0459488704208d6.png

1 hour ago, Hazel-Rah said:

I find that maps in the Doom engine are often fun to just wander around and exist in as opposed to being solely gameplay and combat focused. Thus, I wondered if anyone here has any favourite maps that they love to explore and just vibe/exist within?

I've really taken a liking to amorphous euphoria map02 and map05. They can get difficult in certain parts but for the most part they are just cute and weird, and I love them.

Blessed are the Quick from Icarus, a stormy night in a cathedral backed by a lovely track on the organ.

Spoiler

A7pRtra.png

WbCCqTd.png

5HtsFFv.png

RCvf494.png

Eviltech map30 is just so pretty, and it's lack of monsters until the last fight adds to the sentimental, retrospective feel. You walk through areas that feel familiar the first time it's like a potpourri of classic doom

Spoiler

woof0671.png.493540d465182895708ef2db0c91eaf4.pngwoof0672.png.e3d72e2b9463d127e724c3ee76f8a243.pngwoof0674.png.2c577fd93c70a8f51709c1824d46f2b3.pngwoof0668.png.fda6219adb6abfe77a8ac3f0a2b40344.pngwoof0669.png.1e72ca429c26f841ffdbafb03b7a5c05.pngwoof0670.png.5fc4f8efded959763fa7551fe9286400.pngwoof0675.png.c2a6103152417d98fda3d638b8f1b219.pngwoof0676.png.499c018f74182c5ab9ffa5ab9ae36d5d.pngwoof0677.png.8e9f63f01836826e81fb2ec4a8661ac8.png

Grove of course, except for that fucking part in the trees.

Edited by Geniraul : May 1: Metal added. May 29: Justec.zip, Christmas Doom 2, Wadazine CTF, Star Trek - Doom Invasion and RainbowRubik.pk3 added.

Requiem MAP13 without a shred of doubt. That city backdrop, the architecture and of course the melancholy-inducing BGM; It feels like a flashback to a past life or something from a dream, it's so strangely familiar and "lost" at the same time, I can't explain it.

ooh i love spaceships no matter if they're convincing and sleek or boxy silver sectors. just hanging out in a rough approximation of the death star or the uss enterprise or whatever's at the beginning of talosian or a bunch of classic early individual levels, that's the good stuff. also industrial settings but i can kinda just make those for myself, im a brickwork and railings demon and come from those places anyway

beast island with the monsters off? most of btsxe2 or sunlust with the monsters off

and NEIS e2m2 despite it not really looking like anything. sometimes the abstract places are the best places to sit

and enkeli maps!

my experience with maps really hasnt advanced for like four years, maybe i already found too many cosy places

Rooms

E2M2 - The blue door room with the window.

Spoiler

E2-M2comfy.png

E2M5 - The baron cage room followed by the bright and empty room. What makes this room comfy is how isolated it is from the rest of the map.

Spoiler

E2-M5comfy.png

E2M7 - The red key room with its dedicated monitoring booth.

Spoiler

E2-M7comfy.png

Maps

E3M7 - Pools.

Spoiler

E3-M7comfy.png

TNT MAP12 - Always liked the liminal spaces in this relaxing map.

Spoiler

TNT12comfy.png

Episode

Heretic E3 - Not only the theme and colors but the thought of '94 design makes this episode comfy.

Spoiler

Heretic-E3comfy.png

I would say that a large part of what I like Doom for is the atmosphere. Examples are numerous, I remember my first big crush was The Darkening, Outpost Mortem map. Music from that map I use in most of my own maps to this day. If you just wander around the map without monsters, it's a fascinating memorable place. And it looks real, like it could really exist.

5 rooms is a megawad that has some incredibly memorable maps, some of them really cozy.

While I could provide many-many examples of maps that I just love for their atmosphere, probably nothing comes even close to Auger Zenith. This is just a world that sucks you in. Starting from map 1, it's an art masterpiece.

Culture Shock from Ancient Aliens easily. It's just so pretty.

And pretty much all of Lost Civilization. The best WAD with realistic locations.

Map04: Villa of Dynamite.wad from 2007. Very beautiful setting with great fitting music track which I’ve included in here: CASTLE.zip

screenshot:

Spoiler

326009483_Screenshot2023-05-01174049.png.732c28e0320b352e3710a743ce77b004.png

Edited by CAM-7EA

Armadosia 'cos it's one of my earliest big megawads that was memorable.

Vrack2 for the same reason, but single map.

Love the huge sprawling nature of both of these.

Quite partial to PAR as well.

Spoiler

Oh yes, this is a huge sprawling one too :-)

Alien Vendetta's MAP08 is quite a relaxing map, especially with no monsters. Although this is mostly due to the midi choice. The Huline Temple theme from Lands of Lore 2 can really do that to a map (JPCP MAP06 also uses this track, and it has the same effect in that map). Also E4M4: Unruly Evil due to its low difficulty and monster count compared to the rest of Episode 4 (in fact, I believe that this map should have been the first map of the episode), MAP16: Suburbs, MAP27: Monster Condo, and TNT's MAP14: Steel Works are also cases of this for me.

7 hours ago, Maribo said:

Sometimes I'd rather be a Newt, swimming around, whether that's in the void or in the water:

What wad is this?

6 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

What wad is this?

Not Jabba is correct, is it indeed from Newt, though some of those shots are from maps that are currently unreleased/pending reworks and aren't in the version in that thread.

Here's a full list of wads for anyone curious, I didn't name them originally in case Catpho or someone else wanted to do an impromptu Guess The Map game:

Spoiler

Jumpwad, Magnolia, Sunlust, Newt, Grove, Elysion, Boaty McBoatWAD, Lost Civilization

I would like to visit Speedtraps for the Bee Kingdom to stay a night in one of the small wood cabins, and also take a swim or make a campfire at the beach section

Spoiler

doom00.png

doom01.png

God I love this map so much <3

Both of Monster Hunter Ltd maps, night factory and early morning city are kinda comfy. And returning home at night after hard day of monster slaying in the first map is atmospheric and comfy imo. Plus good midi's

Spoiler

1559558348_.png.d8c4dc36354e8f43a7e86c67501862ed.png