Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

JAMAL JONES TRILOGY - Version 1.1 RELEASED! May 12, 2023 - [Doomkid's Mapping Contest]

Congratulations to everyone involved! I have been eagerly anticipating this project in "final form" and may actually take a day off of work this week to play through it lol. Seriously cool stuff :)

Aaaaand immediately we have a bug.

Launching E3_EXEC.wad in GZDoom g4.8.2:

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "E3_EXEC.wad:MAPINFO" line 244:
THIS: Unknown top level keyword

It was a pleasure to learn the ropes of vanilla compatible mapping with this project, very much looking forward to trying the complete set of maps!

6 minutes ago, Vladguy said:

Wonder if it's a GZDoom specific thing? WADs load fine but don't display complete map names in DSDA, Woof/Nugget, International Doom and PRboom+ from what I can tell

9 minutes ago, Vladguy said:

D'OH. Fixed, as well as a non-fatal MAPINFO issue on E2 (and adding an omitted credit to the text file as well).

Link is the same as before, version number updated to 0.9991!

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

D'OH. Fixed, as well as a non-fatal MAPINFO issue on E2 (and adding an omitted credit to the text file as well).

Link is the same as before, version number updated to 0.9991!

I completely forgot that Mapinfo is a Zdoom thing and couldn't figure out why the names weren't showing in Woof lol. It's too early in the morning for me :S

9 minutes ago, nickxcom said:

I completely forgot that Mapinfo is a Zdoom thing and couldn't figure out why the names weren't showing in Woof lol. It's too early in the morning for me :S

Wait, a minute, I thought MAPINFO classic is the more-or-less agreed upon default everyone supports..

54 minutes ago, Sneezy McGlassFace said:

Wait, a minute, I thought MAPINFO classic is the more-or-less agreed upon default everyone supports..

I think only ZDoom, Vavoom, Eternity, Doomsday and Risen3D support the old MAPINFO format (which is really an extension of Hexen's). The more universal one is UMAPINFO, which most newer versions of Boom-compatible ports support (including ZDoom and I think Eternity now). I don't know if @Doomkid has plans to make one, but if not it's not too hard to convert from one format to the other and with Doomkid's permission I could make one for each episode.

8 hours ago, brick said:

I think only ZDoom, Vavoom, Eternity, Doomsday and Risen3D support the old MAPINFO format (which is really an extension of Hexen's).

GZDoom, Odamex, ZDaemon and Zandronum also support the old format with no worries!

By all means though, if you convert the existing lumps to UMAPINFO, I'd be very appreciative and would be happy to include them in the next revision. Doing the original lumps up was already a pain in the ass, let alone the little variants that have started springing up the last decade like UMAPINFO, EMAPINFO, ZMAPINFO, LOLMAPINFO, OMGWTFBBQMAPINFO and so on (rofl). As you see above, even after a bunch of reviewing I still managed to let a fuckup slide that was caught by Vladguy - lol!

Having to revise so many different versions of the same lump would have driven me insane during development, but now that things are essentially wrapped up it should be easy to implement all the various MAPINFO strains.

Awesome! It so great to see this released, going to set aside some time for a full playthrough :)

Adding all the finishing touches and compiling a project this size is a true achievement! Mapping is usually the fun part (it certainly was for me here), but all the organizational and communication work is what pulls a project together so that people actually get to enjoy it. Can't wait to see some videos and demos, this will be a real treat for all the old-school aficionados.

11 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

OMGWTFBBQMAPINFO

Man, I'm so excited because next year we're getting the beta of HALFPOUNDERMAPINFOWITHFRIES! Real gamechanger, let me tell you. Everybody's gonna use that. The truly universal format. I even contacted John Carmack and he was so hyped he went back to '93 and let us include it in the exe. Real champ

I personally have all my chips on OFDNSMAPINFO (Original Format, Do Not Steal) being the one to finally unite all ports and clean up this whole mess!

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

By all means though, if you convert the existing lumps to UMAPINFO, I'd be very appreciative and would be happy to include them in the next revision. Doing the original lumps up was already a pain in the ass, let alone the little variants that have started springing up the last decade like UMAPINFO, EMAPINFO, ZMAPINFO, LOLMAPINFO, OMGWTFBBQMAPINFO and so on (rofl). As you see above, even after a bunch of reviewing I still managed to let a fuckup slide that was caught by VladGuy - lol!

Well this turned out to be in some ways even easier than I thought, but I kept stumbling on stupid little things like forgetting " at the end of a string. I tested all 3 lumps but I didn't go through every single map change. I think I caught most of the bugs (certainly all the ones that break ports) but if I also let some slide I apologize in advance! If anyone catches anything I'll fix it ASAP.

UMAPINFO works a bit different from the others. You only need to define properties that you are changing from default behaviour. Since this is a vanilla-compatible wad, there's no need to redefine things like music and par times, since they can't be changed in vanilla anyway. Still, I kept them as is just in case, just wanted you to be aware that the lumps could be trimmed if this is desirable. I don't think keeping the extraneous definitions changes anything (it didn't seem to in my testing).

I ran into problems in GZDoom with the story text music. If I define it explicitly with intermusic, then D_READ_M gets used for both the intermission tally and the story. If I don't define it, then D_DM2INT gets used for both. I just couldn't find a way to get GZDoom to keep them separate. I ended up not defining intermusic, which seems to work the way it's supposed to in DSDA-Doom. I think this is better, since GZDoom shouldn't use UMAPINFO anyway since you've included a regular MAPINFO, so everything should work fine in both ports this way. Just to be safe I threw in ZMAPINFOs too, because why not. I don't think they will do much more than your MAPINFO as they are, but they do allow more properties, in case you decide to take advantage of that you'll have the base.

I started work on OMGWTFROFLLMApinfO and I should have it ready by the wad's anniversary.

JJINFO.zip

The Flamecaco's recolor really brings out the the secondary eyes so

depending on your focus on the above pic, the flamecaco has one, two

or maybe all three eyes!

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

UMAPINFO, EMAPINFO, ZMAPINFO, LOLMAPINFO, OMGWTFBBQMAPINFO

The last two are jokes, but you did forget about DMAPINFO (used by the official, so-called "Unity" port) and RMAPINFO (used by Doom Retro). ;)