Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dynamo

2023 Cacowards

9 minutes ago, Major Cooke said:

Doomworld comes out with a ridiculous number of projects every year when it comes to mapping and modding. I suspect it's pretty easy as such for things to fall between the cracks, or there's just so many good ones that some have to be sidelined

I tend to disagree. DBP59 was mentioned like a dozen times in the Cacowards 2023 mentionation thread. A lot of people played it, you can just look at its release thread here on Doomworld (4 pages long, 119 likes as of right now) or at dozens of playthroughs on YouTube. It even got its own drama about the usage of characters from indie game without credit (which happily resolved). It's strange and sad that this rather important piece of this years's Doom modding scene was left unattended.

12 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

I'll answer that

This is exactly what I expected to hear. Thanks for your honesty.

As usual a really enjoyable read! And what a year... this is just awesome
Congrats to every winner and runner-up, and a big thanks for the Cacowards crew for making this happening!

Happy birthday Doom, and here's to 30 more years!

Thank you for the amazing writeups as usual, I have yet more to play on the endless backlog. I'll get a little anecdotal quick and recall my Doom past:

I wasn't alive for its release, but around 2003-04 when I was a young boy, my mother sat me on her lap and played Doom 3 for me to watch. I had nightmares for a couple weeks after that, but it got me interested. My father ran Doom95 back in the day and claimed to have been one of the first to host LAN deathmatch setups for him and my mother, as well as others that came around.

I still remember playing Doom with Skulltag using only a keyboard and beating E1 of Doom 1 over and over again. I played things like Fava Beans, I read 10 years of doom, I submitted a dumb first-ever-map for DUMP 2 when I was in highschool and made a few more maps after that. At the age of 23, I couldn't be happier to be a part of this community even if it's just chiming in for the occasional comment or review on my Tumblr blog. 

Super glad at how Myhouse was handled, probably the best way to go about it. Now if you'll excuse me, I feel like I just ate 2 Thanksgiving dinners and need a long nap. Of playing these excellent WADs, that is. 

Congrats to all the winners and here's to me being in my 50s one day still playing this game! Much love, y'all.

(edit: error previously mentioned here has been corrected)

congratulations to the winners

Edited by anotak

HOLY SHIT I JUST NOTICED

WHAT ARE WE STILL WAITING FOR?

Does this enormous list suggest the boundless enthusiasm for Doom and its relations, or the hubris that will inevitably lead to the community's downfall? Is this the same boilerplate text as last year's column? The answer to at least one of these questions is "yes."

John.WAD

LMAO

7 minutes ago, Plerb said:

HOLY SHIT I JUST NOTICED

LMAO

If John.WAD comes out this year, Doom modding will finally be complete. There's just nothing that will top it.

It'll have 16 playable characters, rogue like mechanics, realistic gun physics, a rich narrative and groundbreaking political commentary.

TNT: 2 gets another Mordeth AND a cacoward for not being publicly finalized yet? Not being a hate shill but shieeett I've completed an entire enlistment since it's thread got opened and it's STILL in "Final Beta". 

Also before anyone corrects me, the 2017 Cacowards grants the Mordeth as the "TNT 2 Saga" and not to TNT:R directly. 

3 minutes ago, Chalibluefin said:

Also before anyone corrects me, the 2017 Cacowards grants the Mordeth as the "TNT 2 Saga" and not to TNT:R directly. 

Different correction then: the Mordeth award is specifically for map26, the saga of which I doubt is something the 2017 award could prophetise.

Just now, Dynamo said:

Different correction then: the Mordeth award is specifically for map26, the saga of which I doubt is something the 2017 award could prophetise.

Shit, you are right in that regard. My apologies.

Still that's a weird workaround no? I suppose if a specific map has taken THAT long it might as well be noteworthy. 

6 hours ago, esselfortium said:

"Nazi Punks Fuck Off" remains a good guiding principle for all aspects of life.

i hate to be That Guy but what is this in reference to? was there some weird shit that happened?

6 hours ago, baja blast rd. said:

Rather, there are so many wads because there a lot more approaches being explored, and a much broader range of voices and styles.

Great post, and I think this is also why it's important that the cacowards have expanded their approach to accommodate. There's just a lot of different avenues and directions to explore in the scene, and the broader a light the panel shines on it, the better. Kinda crazy thinking about how in the past that musicians, new mappers, gameplay modders, etc. were just absent from the discussion for the most part.

20 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Doomer Boards was founded by and for people who've been banned from Doomworld for posting hate towards black people, Jews, gay people, and other minorities. The DBPs are an attempt to launder their image while continuing to tolerate all of those things on their site. Their current site admin, 40oz, was banned here several years ago after being given an ultimatum regarding a member of DB who was continually harassing a member here over another community member's death.

Bruh Doomguy kills hellspawn and nazis. I feel like you're aligning with the wrong game if you're a bigot.  

Congratulations to the superb creators of this community for their Cacoward victories, runner-ups, and honorable mentions. It is you, all of you, who make this community so unique and special, and may it always stay this way. 

And to the Cacoward committee, ten thumbs-up for your tireless playing, replaying, choosing, and then writing the copy on all of these maps, all of this music, and all related content. I'm especially indebted to @Dynamo for his write-up on Ultimate Doom in Name Only. All of us who worked on that project are thrilled to see it recognized. I'm also completely in line with what @Terminus wrote about the awe-inspiring Insanity Edged

It seems we say this every year, but . . . what a fantastic year this has been! Woo-hoo, we go from strength to strength! All this and the new year kicks off with special releases for Doom's 30th Birthday -- Eviternity II, Sigil II, and Thirty Years With Doom. What an embarrassment of riches, but all I can say is this -- "How sweet it is!"

7 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I'm especially indebted to @Dynamo for his write-up on Ultimate Doom in Name Only. All of us who worked on that project are thrilled to see it recognized. I'm also completely in line with what @Terminus wrote about the awe-inspiring Insanity Edged

Thanks for the kind words Steve! However, it is @Omniarch you should be thanking for UDiNO, not me! He did a truly stellar work on the writeup.

But if we pretend for just a moment that I wrote it, I am still looking for that copy of Slava Pestov's original MAP06 for ROC. It would be one amazing Christmas gift... :P

All that aside, we are immensely glad you still continue to make amazing contributions to this community, and here's to many more to come!

5 minutes ago, Dynamo said:

Thanks for the kind words Steve! However, it is @Omniarch you should be thanking for UDiNO, not me! He did a truly stellar work on the writeup.

Thank you for the correction, and many thanks to @Omniarch for his write-up on Ultimate Doom In Name Only. My apologies for the mistake.

As for Slava Pestov's original Map06 for Realm of Chaos, I think 2024 may be the year that I get it, assuming those old Mac SCSI drives still work. If I get it, I'll also snag Antoni Chan's Escape episode and perhaps an unfinished Michael Krause map to boot. :)